Unit one: Principles of personal responsibilities and working in a business environment
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk 2
Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly 3
When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference 4
Then, go to and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Please note that this Assessment document has 8 pages and is made up of 7 Sections.
Section 1 – Know the employment rights and responsibilities of the employee and employer
1. Identify four main points that would be included in a contract of employment. If possible, use an example contract to support your answer (feel free to obscure any confidential information).
Place of work
Comencement of employment
2a) List three key points of legislation that affect employers in a business environment. Pension
Data Protection Act
2b) List three key points of legislation that affect employees in a business environment.
Health and Safety
Data Protection Act
Pay and Pensions
3. Identify a range of places where a person can find information on employment rights and responsibilities. You should identify at least two internal and two external sources of information.
Trade Union Reps
Chambers of Commerce
Citizens Advice Bureau
4. Describe how representative bodies can support employees.
Representitive bodies can help employees by overseeing meetings to make sure that it is completed by correct procedure. By starting Tribunal proceedings for unfair dismissal or discrimination. They also negosiate salary raises and holiday entitlement and advise on what to do if you have a grievance within the workplace.
5. Briefly describe employer and employee responsibilities for equality and diversity in a business environment. You should give at least two employer responsibilities and two employee responsibilities.
If possible, provide relevant equality and diversity procedures from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
6. Briefly explain the benefits of making sure equality and diversity procedures are followed in a business environment. Your answer should include one benefit for the employer, one benefit for the employee and one benefit for the overall organisation.
Section 2 – Understand the purpose of health, safety and security procedures in a business environment
1. Identify employer and employee responsibilities for health, safety and security.
If possible, provide relevant health, safety and security policies / documents from your workplace (or place of study) to support your answer. These documents should be annotated to highlight the relevant sections.
2. Explain the purpose of following health, safety and security procedures in a business environment.
3. Describe three different ways of maintaining a safe and secure business environment.
Section 3 – Understand how to communicate effectively with others
1. Complete the table below with descriptions of different methods of communication. You should include two verbal, two non-verbal and two written methods of communication.
Methods of communication|Description|
Verbal communication|1. 2. |
Non-verbal communication|1. 2. |
Written communication|1. 2. |
2. Using two specific examples, explain how to choose the most appropriate method of communication to meet your needs and the needs of others.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document