Environmental Science

Topics: Trophic level, Food chain, Predation Pages: 3 (671 words) Published: August 31, 2013
enviJairah DC. OcampoEnvironmental Science
BSIT I- C Sir Allan Pleno
Critical Thinking Questions
2. Explain the function of trophic levels in an ecosystem.

ANSWER :

Exactly, A food chain cannot start with a consumer. What would it consume if there were no producer before it?

SOURCE : www. Yahoo. Com
Jairah DC. OcampoEnvironmental Science
BSIT I- C Sir Allan Pleno
Critical Thinking Questions

3. Why is there always a loss of chemical energy with each step in a food chain ? ANSWER:

Approximately only 10% of the energy from one tier of the food chain goes to the animal from the one above. This is because the prey uses the other 90% for maintaining heat, being able to move, reproduction, and digestion. This means that the predator has to eat a large amount of the prey to get the necessary amount of energy so they can do them processes. Consequently, as you get further up the food chain, there are less numbers of predators, as the prey cannot provide enough energy to sustain a large amount of predators. This is also why you will rarely find more than two predators in a particular food chain, e.g oak tree-aphid-blackbird-fox. this is because the amount of energy that a third predator would need to survive is implausible to be able to get it from the amount of food it would get from the foxes.

SOURCE : www. Answers. Com
Jairah DC. OcampoEnvironmental Science
BSIT I- C Sir Allan Pleno
Critical Thinking Questions
4. How do the pyramids of energy and biomass represent the energy relationships In an ecosystem? ANSWER :

The energy levels, also called trophic (which means nutritional or food) levels, are in a pyramid for a reasonJust as a pyramid has a wide base and tapers toward the top, the amount of energy at each trophic level decreases as you go from autotrophs (found at the bottom of the pyramid) to the carnivores at the top of the pyramid.  But, why a pyramid? As an organism lives,...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay about Environmental Science Final Project
  • Environmental science chapter 1 notes Essay
  • Environmental Degradation Essay
  • Essay on science
  • Essay about Environmental Health and Health Effects of Environmental
  • environmental degradation Essay
  • Importance of Environmental Education Essay
  • Environmental Sustainability. Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free