Each question is worth 1 point, unless otherwise noted.
I Got To Micturate: Part I—"Mini Case Studies" Questions
Case 1: Frank Johnson
1. How does the urinary system relate to sexual function in males? How does the prostate relate to the bladder infections in males?
The reproductive system in the male is closely intertwined with the urinary system, both functionally and anatomically. The male reproductive system is so closely linked with the urinary tract, that urinary health is important for optimum sexual health in the male. When the prostrate is enlarged it can cause a urinary bladder infection in males.
2. On Frank’s follow up examination, what are some of the alarming symptoms and concerns he has?
Some alarming symptoms are the rapid weight loss, the painful ejaculations, his difficult time starting and stopping urinations as well as the burning sensation when he urinates.
3. What possible conditions/complications could be causing Frank’s symptoms? What does a negative leukocyte and nitrite urinalysis test strip results rule out?
In my opinion a urinary tract infection or maybe an inflammation with his prostrate that could be causing these symptoms. However, if a urinalysis test strip results in negative leukocyte and nitrite then the likelihood of it being a urine infection is probably not likely.
4. What is a digital rectal examination (DRE) and what insight does it provide into Frank’s condition?
A digital rectal examination is an exam that consists of a doctor inserting their finger in the rectum and checking internal organs such as the prostrate. It is done for men as part of a complete physical exam to check the prostrate gland.
5. There are two possible conditions that Frank has, what are they and the complications of them?
The two possible conditions are prostatitis or benign prostatic hyperplasia which both consist of inflammation or an enlargement of the