The very essential thing to do before even starting to talk about effective skills of learning is to explain what education really means. According to Wikipedia education is a form of learning where habits, skills, knowledge, values and beliefs of a group of people are transferred from one generation to the next. It may be done trough discussion or training, and or research. Education usually takes place under the guidance of others, but may also be so called ‘autodidactic learning’- where learners educate themselves. Basically any experience having a formative effect on how someone thinks, feels, or acts may be called an education. The foundations of sound education are the early years in child development spent creating a base to have the ‘know how’ to study efficiently from. That is why it is impossible to expect an infant child to have skills to study at the early stage of ones life. According to Paiget there are four consecutive stages of learning. ‘Sensory motor, pre-operational, concrete operations and formal operations’. All of those stages may be taught through various methods, which do not require studying. Effective skills of learning are the base to a good education. Studies show that the adequate method assisting in the process of gathering and storing knowledge can help with improving the effects of studying and significantly decrease the time required for it. In most cases effective learning is basically the ability to get around in the ‘jungle’ of information and its quick assimilation, as well as being able to store and access it when required. Dryden Vos (2000) states that essential academic way of studying suits only 30% of people. Remaining 70% prefers different methods.
Study skills can be classified as abilities that enable achievement in your studies. They may differ according to our education history, past opportunities and personal challenges. Their development depends especially on our teachers, people, our communications, academic discipline, and subject content on course, technology availability as well as time and motivation. Cottrel (2014) has introduced the C.R.E.A.M strategy. It states that you are more likely to maintain high levels application needed for success as a student if you are: creative, reflective, effective, active and motivated. That simply means that you need to be planning not just what you study, but also how you will study. This way once you mastered one skill it will help you with strengthening another. There are numerous different concepts and methods that will help students choose the best ways to make their work efficient. According to Wikihow you need to develop good study habits. First of all to make things fun by trying to find the beauty of every subject and linking it with the events that are of interest to you. Another aspect is to manage your time by making weekly schedule. For some making studying a group effort is the perfect solution. Cotrell (2013), for example states that one does not have to be ‘clever’ to succeed in studying. By putting into action right confidence, awareness, strategies and practice you can help yourself to a proper education without the actual necessity to be naturally clever. To conclude everything so far - effective study skills must be the very foundation of a sound education. If you have all above in place and you are able to recognize your weaknesses then studying should become realistic and enjoyable. In other words the more a person learns to study and the more efficiently they do it the more likely they will have an opportunity of getting a sound education.
Jean Paiget (2001) The Psychology of Intelligence.
Cotrell S. (2013) The Study Skills Handbook 4th edition.
Dryden G. Vos J. (2000) Rewolucja w uczeniu.
Tom Burns & Sandra Sinfield Essential Study Skills.