Introductions ECTE333 Microcontroller Architecture & Apps
Dr Montse Ros
• Welcome to ECTE333! • Your lecturers this year are:
– Dr. Montse Ros (Autumn) – Dr. Lam Phung (Spring) g ( p g)
• Make sure you receive your handout:
– Student Planner – Reference Book List (on the back)
What will I learn?
• General Computer Organisation • Assorted Microcontroller architecture and interfacing topics • Hardware and Software for the Atmel AVR microcontroller i t ll • Practical Skills in the programming and interfacing of an Atmel AVR microcontroller using AVR of an Atmel AVR microcontroller using AVR development boards.
What should I already know?
• ECTE233 material
– x‐radix number systems – Digital Logic Digital Logic
• Combinational logic • Sequential logic
• Revision References
– Sections 3.1‐3.3 of [TAN06] – Appendi A of [HEU04] Appendix A of [HEU04] – Appendices A & B of [STA09]
How much time should I h h ld devote to ECTE333?
• This subject is 3 credit points per session • This means 6 hrs/wk or 12 hours/fortnight • Every fortnight will consist of these contact hours: • In addition students are expected to conduct the following in In addition, students are expected to conduct the following in their own study time
– 2 hours revising the lecture material – 2 hours attempting the tutorial questions (before the tutorial) – 4 hours for: 4 hours
• performing preparation for the lab (before the lab) • answering pre‐lab quizzes
How will I be assessed?
Autumn Class Tests Lab Prep/Progress L b P /P Practical Exams Exams 5% 5% 15% 25% (50%) 5% 20% 25% (50 %) Spring 5% 10% 35% 50% 100%
– 2L: 2‐hour Lecture (odd weeks) ( ) – 1T: 1‐hour Tutorial (even weeks) – 1P: 1‐hour Demo Laboratory (even weeks)
Consult your Subject Outline and Student Planner for more details
Lectures and Tutorials
• One 2‐hour Lecture ODD weeks
– You should spend an additional 2 hours every fortnight revising