ECT122 W1 ILab 3
DC power supply
1. List the functions available on the DM717 handheld digital multimeter (DMM).
This meter can measure three basic electrical properties voltage, current and resistance.
2. What is the function of the COM connection? What color lead is placed in this connection?
It’s the common ground and is used in all measurements. Black lead is placed in this connection.
3. What is the function of the “VWmA” connection? What color lead is placed in this connection?
It’s used to measure voltage and resistance. Red lead is places in this connection.
4. Pick five resistors at random.
Complete one row of the table below for each resistor.
a. Record the color of each band.
b. Using the color bands, calculate the resistance and tolerance and record your calculated value.
c. Calculate and record the tolerance range for each resistor.
d. Measure and record the value of each resistor using a handheld DMM.
e. Indicate Y = yes or N = no if the measurement is within tolerance.
Number 1 -
12Ω +/-5%=0.6 12+/-5%= 11.4 12+/-5% = 12.6Ω
Number 2 -
33kΩ +/-5%=1.65 33kΩ+/-5%= 31.35 33kΩ+/-5% = 34.65kΩ
150Ω +/-5%=7.5 150Ω+/-5%= 142.5 150Ω+/-5% = 157.5Ω
Number 4 -
220Ω +/-5%=11 220Ω+/-5%= 209 220Ω+/-5% = 231Ω
Number 5 -
680kΩ +/-5%=34 680kΩ+/-5%= 646 680kΩ+/-5% = 714Ω
5. Examine the ELVIS prototyping environment and answer the questions listed below. If you don’t have access to an ELVIS machine, research it at http://www.ni.com/nielvis/.
a. What fixed DC voltage outputs are available?