CAUSES OF FILIPINO
Desire to regain the lost freedom of
their ancestors (Political)
Religious intolerance of Spanish
Abuses of the Spaniards (Personal)
The hated tribute and oppressive forced
Loss of ancestral lands
•Create a profile page
for a certain revolt
outcome/result of the
• Causes of
– Maltreatment of
his people by
– Armed clash
Capt. Juan de
to lay down his
– He even helped
• son of Lakandula
• Together with him:
– Agustin de Legazpi – Lakandula’s
– Martin Pangan – Chief of Tondo
– Juan Bassi – Chief of Taguig
– Pedro Balinguit – Chief of
• The Plan:
– To bring Japanese
weapons to drive
the Spaniards out.
– Dionisio Fernandez
– a Japanese
acted as an
– Juan Gayo – a
alliance and military
– Pedro Sarmiento
– discovered the
– The leaders were
• He and his brother urged the people of
Cagayan to overthrow Spanish rule
during the term of Gov. Gen. Francisco
• His revolt could not be crushed by arms
• The Spaniards resorted to assassination
which ended his revolt
• He was murdered in his own house
• First assassination in Philippine History.
Igorot Revolt (1601)
• The Igorots
defense of their
• They killed Fr.
• Capt. Mateo de
Gaddang Revolt (1621)
• Due to the abuses of the Spanish
• Cagayan Valley
• Leaders: Felipe Cutabay and Gabriel
• Result: Fr. Pedro de Santo Tomas –
persuaded the Gaddangs to lay down
• A Babaylan led this religious
• He incited Boholanos to return to
their pagan religion.
• He was joined by 2,000 Boholanos
• Suppressed by government troops
led by Alcalde Mayor Juan de
Alcarazo with 50 Spaniards and
more than 1,000 Cebuanos..
Each group is given a revolt to work
on. Make a profile page for the leader
(similar to your fb page).
Your work must include the following:
a.Profile picture of the leader
c.A status of his revolution
d.Comment of the Spaniards against the
Bankaw’s Revolt (1622)
• An old chief of Limasawa became a Christian
because he received a royal gift from Spain in
recognition of his grandfather’s hospitality to
• In his old age, with the influence of his son and
Pagali, a native priest, he discarded his faith.
• He led a religious revolt to restore paganism.
• Suppressed by Juan de Alcarazo, one who
suppressed the revolt.
• His head was placed on a plate and was
displayed in public
PEDRO LADIA’S REVOLT
• Was a Bornean who claimed descent from Raja
• Urged the people of Malolos to fight against the
Spanish oppressors and enthrone him as King of
• Fr, Cristobal Enriquez – a parish priest from
Malolos, reported Ladia’s plans to the
authorities even before the rebel could take the
• He was captured and executed in Manila.
Juan Ponce (Francisco)
• Cause: harsh order of Gov. Gen. Diego
Fajardo compelling men in the village
to render forced labor in the shipyard
• The Spanish authorities persuaded the
natives to lead them to Sumuroy’s
hideout in the mountains.
• Result: ended in failure, he was taken...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document