HUSAIN – M00423154
BURHANUDDIN – M00423155
LILADHAR – M00422165
STACEY – M00428976
Dyesol: Partnering to harness the power of
Dye-sensitized solar cells
Cells manufactured into tough, flexible sheets.
Joint venture with Tata steel to make
“solar steel” in 2011.
Dyesol’s managers felt that rather than investing in
large joint venture projects, Dyesol should just
liberally license the technology to numerous
ADVANTAGES OF DYESOL’S
VENTURE WITH TATA STEEL
Disadvantages of Dyesol’s
venture with Tata steel
Tata Group’s chemical Business
learn to reserve engineer
Dyesol’s dye product.
Find ways to disturb Dyesol’s
Make strong competitor
DYESOL’S COLLABORATION WITH PILKINGTON
1) Reach consumers who valued solar energy.
2) Helped in getting bigger investment .
3) Exposure to global market.
4) New Concept.
1)Requires lot of time and investment.
Should Dyesol look to aggressively form licensing
agreements (or other types of alliances) with other firms?
Quality of applications
Licensees may lack incentive
to promote technology
Technology will reach wider
range of markets
Licensing – More revenue
Joint venture – access to
Promote adoption of
should be in place to help ensure that
Dyesol’s objectives (and those of its
partners) are met in its collaborative
• Monitoring and governance mechanism
• Legally binding contractual arrangements
• Partners should be aware of their rights and
• Legal framework in case of violations
• Focusing solely on lower costs
• Failed to organize effectively for collaboration
• Didn’t invest in building collaborative capabilities
What Successful firms do ?
• Enabled to identify/exploit new business
• Helps to align incentives and provide sense of
• Built over time
• Can facilitate more extensive cooperation,
sharing, and learning by partners
Please join StudyMode to read the full document