Dumb Type Presentation Notes
● Furuhashi, Toru Koyamada, Yukihiro Hozumi, Shiro Takatani, Takayuki Fujimoto and Hiromasa Tomari—began working together in 1982, while still students at Kyoto
University of Art and Design
● Based in Kyoto since its founding in 1984 by Teji Furuhashi, Dumb Type continues to engage in an ever broader sphere of international activities. ● and other disciplines, including visual arts, theatre, dance, architecture, music
. Their work ranges across such diverse
, performances, audiovisuals and publications.
● confronting such themes as AIDS, civilization, nationality, identity, communication (from body language to computer network) being the main subject of research. Dumb Type explores the undefined borders of the information society for new visions of human / system interaction.
● Inspired by New York performance artists Laurie Anderson and Robert Wilson – artists who sought to expand the borders of art through the use of technology
● 199093 was dumb type’s largest scale work todate integrating performance, installation, video, and printed material
● (S/N and pH) The audience’s seats lined up above both sides of a slender sixteenmeter white linoleum floor. On the stage a horizontal bar moved across the floor suggesting a giant photocopy machine. Installed on the bottom surface of the bar were a number of slide projectors, which projected images onto the floor where performers (human beings) acted and danced under the mercy of and/or against the machine (society.)
● woven into the reality levels of media, sound and image. Although there is not so much dancing, the vehicle of the media disjoins or accelerates the movements of the body ...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document