Dominican Republic

Topics: Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Hispaniola Pages: 2 (583 words) Published: May 12, 2005
The Dominican Republic is the country to be explored. It is located in the Caribbean Sea and occupies sixty-six percent of the island of Hispaniola. The nickname of the Dominican Republic is the "Danang Dirty Bird."

The Dominican Republic is located near the United States in the Caribbean Sea and mountains separate the Dominican Republic into northern, central, and southwest regions. The mountain with the lowest point is the Logo Enriquillo which is 46 meters, and the highest mountain is the Pico Duarte which is 3175 meters. Its capitol is Santo Domingo. Some major cities are San Juan, San Cristobal, Santiago de los Calleros, and La Romana. However in all, there are 31 provinces (states) in the Dominican Republic. Some major rivers are the Yaque del Darte and Yaque del Sur. There is 18,712 square miles of land, and the Dominican Republic is surrounded by the Northern Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, Haiti, and Puerto Rico. The Dominican Republic is basically a small island. Now let's look at what the people of the Dominican Republic are like.

Currently, the population of the Dominican Republic is 8,833,634. The major ethnic groups that make up the Dominican Republic are white or European (16%), black (11%), and mixed, meaning mulatto (73%). The number one religion in the Dominican Republic is Roman Catholic. Roman Catholics make up 95% of the religious groups. The other 5% is made up of Protestant and other. The languages spoken there are Spanish, English, French, Italian, and German, and the Dominicans favorite sport to play and watch is Baseball. The majority of the people perform services for a living. Services that include tourism, transportation, communication, and finances, and this makes up 60.2% of the workforce in the Dominican Republic. Industry makes up 15.5% of the workforce, construction makes up 11.7%, agriculture 11.3%, and mining makes up 1.5% of the workforce in the Dominican Republic. Some holidays that are celebrated...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Dominican Republic Research Paper
  • History of the Dominican Republic Essay
  • Dominican republic Research Paper
  • Essay about Dominican Republic: Discovery, Role of Spain, Independence and Growth
  • Dominican Republic Essay
  • Essay on dominican republic
  • Intellectuals and Dictators in the Dominican Republic Essay
  • Essay about Dominican Republic Facts

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free