PY 240: Domestic Violence-Family Violence Across the Lifespan
Assignment #1 - Due: Wednesday, March 21, 2012
In an effort to determine what you know about domestic violence and family violence, please answer the following questions. Answer them as if you were stopped on the street and interviewed on the spot. This means your answers are without reference to the textbook or any other source, but strictly on your own knowledge.
1. What is domestic violence? What does the term “family violence across the lifespan” mean?
2. What do you know about the following?
▪ Child physical abuse
▪ Child sexual abuse
▪ Abused and abusive adolescents
▪ Elder abuse
▪ Abuse of disabled persons
3. List 3 traits of the abused (victim).
4. List 3 traits of the abuser (offender).
Chapter 1 Review – History and Definitions of Family Violence
In Chapter 1, there is a list of 10 common myths about family violence. Describe the following myths, in your own words, to demonstrate your understanding of the material you read.
#2 – Only poor people are violent.
#4 – Battered women “ask for it.”
#6 – Minor acts of family violence are always trivial and inconsequential.
Discussion Questions: Answer the following question.
▪ Do you have any perceptions about family violence that have been challenged by anything you have read in this opening chapter? PY 240: Domestic Violence-Family Violence Across the Lifespan
Assignment #2 - Due: Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Chapter 8 Review – Abused Heterosexual Partners: Primarily Women
Discussion Questions: Answer the following questions.
▪ Name three consequences for women victimized by male partner violence.
▪ Describe the following three theories: traumatic bonding, Stockholm syndrome, and attachment. How do these theories explain a victim’s entrapment in the relationship?
Please join StudyMode to read the full document