1. Clinical characteristics- this part only requires you to know symptoms(so no evaluation) You need to know:
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterised by a split between thinking and emotion.
How long symptoms need to last for someone to be diagnosed(the DSM and ICD have different times)
How many positive and negative symptoms someone needs to be diagnosed and a few examples of each
Two sub-types of Schizophrenia and 3-4 symptoms of each subtype.
Exam questions: Likely to be 5 marks.
1) Outline Clinical Characteristics of Schizophrenia (5 marks).
2) Describe how somebody a psychiatrist would diagnose someone with schizophrenia (4 marks)
3) Outline two sub-types of schizophrenia.(5 marks)
2. Issues of classification and diagnosis: How reliable and how valid the ways of diagnosing schizophrenia are. There are many issues. In case you get a 24 mark essay you need to know 6 in detail. Choose from:
Using two manuals (DSM and ICD)with different criteria is not valid.
Sub-types-ICD and DSM have different sub-types.
Inter-rater reliability: If a tool is reliable specialists should agree using the same tool on one patients diagnosis.
Similarity to other disorders
The classification system is valid its people using them that are not using them correctly.
A/A*: Does Schizophrenia actually exist?
Exam questions: These could range from 9/10 marks to 24 marks.
1) Explain issues associated with the classification and/or diagnosis of Schizophrenia (10 marks)(use 3 issues)
2) Discuss the validity and Reliability of diagnosis and classification of Schizophrenia( 24 marks)(8 marks A01 AND 16 A02)NB discuss= outline and evaluate! Here it asks for reliability and validity-don’t panic at this as all the issues we have covered link to reliability and validity. Refer to