Year 9-4 N.REES ENGLISH
Do TWO of the following essay topics. Each essay must be developed in paragraphs and use textual evidence.
Each should be 600 to 700 words in length.
1. ‘Phillip Gwyne’s Deadly Unna shows how sport can bring a divided community together.’ Argue the truth or fallacy of this quote in relation to the novel.
2. ‘It is the power and integrity of Blacky, the narrator of Deadly Unna?, that makes it such a persuasive novel.’ Examine the appeal and message Blacky gives to the reader.
3. ‘The film text Australian Rules is only loosely based on Deadly Unna? The film fails to develop any of the sensitivity or charm of the novel.’ Critique the film by comparing it to the novel using the prompt as a starting point.
4. ‘Through Blacky’s eyes, the Nungas and the Goonyas have far more in common than they have differences’. Examine the extent to which this is true, working through family, community, pressure from relatives, humour, ambition and opportunities.
5. Mr Black called his son a gutless wonder, yet Blacky was the bravest in town. How does the novel show moral courage to be the best way to combat racism?
6. You are Mrs Black. You have won a writing competition and a writer’s grant which gives you economic freedom. Write the story of your life when you are affluent.
7. You are Clarence. Write the story of Clarence’s life on The Point, her experiences with racist whites and give yourself a bright future.
8. Blacky- Prime Minister for a day. Gary Black, PM, makes significant changes in his one day in office. Write a newspaper report of the changes he made and the speeches he gave.
9. Write Chapter 42.
10. Your idea. Negotiate with me.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document