Database Management

Topics: SQL, Database management system, Database Pages: 12 (4401 words) Published: February 6, 2013
Chapter II

Local Studies
AS part of efforts to modernize the country’s rice milling industry, the Department of Agriculture plans to create qualified farmer cooperatives that would be allowed to take ownership of rice mills. Under the DA’s six-year mechanization and postharvest program for rice, the Philippine Center for Postharvest Development and Mechanization said that qualified farmer cooperatives engaged in rice farming will be given financing support to own their rice mills and increase efficiency in grain production.

Based on surveys and field studies conducted by PhilMech, most private rice mills in the rural areas use single pass mills where the recovery rate from unhusked rice or palay is from 50 percent to 57 percent. Ricardo Cachuela, PhilMec executive director, said mills using the multi-pass technology will be made available to qualified farmer cooperatives. A multi-pass rice mill has a recovery rate of 65 percent to 70 percentCachuela,said.

“Recovering an additional 8 [percent] to 13 percent from milling operations alone will contribute significantly to the supply of rice in the Philippines if many farmer cooperatives are able to operate the multi-pass mills,” he said. Under the program, the DA will provide a grant equivalent to 75 percent of the cost of the multi-pass rice mill, while the qualified farmer cooperative will shoulder the remaining 25 percent with loans and capital outlay. A modern rice mill employing the multi-pass system costs around P4 million, excluding cost of land, the official said. Farmer cooperatives that can take part in the program should be registered with the Cooperative Development Authority, and willing to shoulder preconstruction expenses like land filling, compacting and clearing, among others. “With this program, farmer cooperatives could get to own their modern rice mills that will in turn greatly help their members because the recovery rate from milling palay is higher,” Cachuela said. He said many farmer cooperatives already have profitable operations, and that these cooperatives are more than ready to provide their own counterpart funds to acquire and operate multi-pass rice mills. Cachuela said that there are still farmers who use the old kiskisan method in milling palay, where the recovery rate is as low as 50 percent.

“It is high time that farmers adopt the latest technologies in postharvest and milling, so they can achieve higher efficiencies and profitability in their operations,” the official said.

Local Literature
This section provides the essential metadata for the various databases in the STL. It gives information about the tables and describes the content and format of data fields. Models of the entity relationship between database tables are also provided. Data types conform to Oracle data type categories. Many of the databases created and deployed by the STL support the ADMS project. The Archived Data Management System (ADMS) enables the use of system-enhanced archived traffic operations-related data for transportation applications such as planning and mobility performance measurement, improved operational effectiveness, and decision support. ADMS is the place where much of the research of the Smart Travel Laboratory (STL) is implemented as well as the place that people can go to access the data resources of the STL. With the exception of the Hampton Roads Detector Flow database (Section, the Northern Virginia Detector Flow database (Section, and the Classification tables(Section all of the databases described below support ADMS. A database-management system (DBMS) is a collection of interrelated data and a set of programs to access those data. This is a collection of related data with an implicit meaning and hence is a database. The collection of data, usually referred to as the database, contains information...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Advantages and Disadvantages of Database Management Essay
  • Database Essay
  • Relational Database Concepts and Applications: Research Paper
  • Essay about Working with Database Design
  • Analyzing the use of databases in the workplace Essay
  • Sql Introduction to Database Essay
  • database system Research Paper
  • Database Management Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free