* Initial results showed gains, and best practices replicated in other divisions.
* Improve the quality of secondary education in provinces. * Increase the rates of participation in secondary education in the underserved areas. * Support the decentralization process greater management responsibilities at provincial levels.
* IMPROVING TEACHING AND LEARNING
1. Development of skills and competencies of school heads in planning and management. 2. Improving teachers’ subject knowledge and teaching skills. 3. Improving the availability of learning materials by providing textbooks, manuals and other instructional materials. 4. Improving the learning environment by construction and rehabilitation of school facilities and equipment. * IMPROVING ACCESS TO SECONDARY EDUCATION
1. Providing schooling alternatives to students who are unable to attend school. 2. Open new school with assistance and collaboration of local government. * FACILITATING DECENTRALIZED SECONDARY EDUCATION MANAGEMENT 1. Innovation which strengthened the planning and management capacity. 2. Supported monitoring and evaluation capacity.
3. Developed policy research management and analysis capacity. 4. Improved educational management information system.
5. Developed local and school based in-service training.
6. Supported new textbook procurement and delivery system.
THE NEW TEACHER EDUCATION CURRICULUM FOR BEEd AND BSEd.
* Was implemented by CMO 30, s, 2004.
* Offer two (2) education degrees – BEEd Bachelor of Elementary Education and BSEd Bachelor of Secondary Education.
BEEd Bachelor of Elementary Education
* Aims to develop elementary school teachers who can teach across the different areas in grade school, special education and pre-schools.
BSEd Bachelor of Secondary Education
* Aims to develop high school teachers who can teach in one of the different learning areas such as Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, English and Filipino.
* Aligned to the NATIONAL COMPETENCY-BASED TEACHER STANDARDS (NCBTS) * Formulated for all teachers in the Phil.
Graduates of BEEd and BSEd must:
1. Have basic and higher level literacy. Communication, numeracy, critical thinking, learning skills needed for higher learning. 2. Have deep understanding of learning process and the role of a teacher in facilitating. 3. Have a deep understanding of how educational process relate to the larger historical, social, cultural and political processes. 4. Have a comprehensive knowledge of the subject matter they will teach. 5. Apply wide range of teaching process skills including curriculum dev’t., lesson planning, material development, educational assessment and teaching approaches. 6. Have direct experience in the field such as classroom observations, teaching assistance and practice teaching. 7. Practice the professional and ethical requirements of teaching profession. 8. Facilitate the learning of diverse types of learners.
9. Reflect on the relationships among teaching process skills and learning in the students. 10. Be creative and innovative in thinking of alternative teaching approaches. 11. Be wiling and capable to continue to learn.
CURRICULUM OF THE BEEd AND BSEd
* Recognizes the need to equip teachers wide range of theoretical and methodogical skills. * Allow them to have more options and greater flexibility in designing and implementing learning.
BEEd| BSEd| Courses|
63 units| 63 units| General education|
54 units| 51 units| Prof Ed|
57 units| 60 units| Content course|
174 units| 174 units| TOTAL|
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES
* Continue to follow the existing general education courses for other degree programs. * Mandated in CHED Memo No. 59, s, 1996.
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION COURSES
* Clustered into three (3): THEORY AND CONCEPTS COURSES; METHODS AND STRATEGY COURSES; FIELD STUDY COURSES. * All subjects will be taught in an integrated manner.
* Discussion of theory and concepts should always be linked to development of methods and strategies and to experiential learning during the field study. * All courses should be taught using wide range of teaching approaches. * All courses must have a research req’t. (term paper, case study) * The theory and concept courses provide the broad framework which student can understand, rationalize, and reflect on teaching. * The methods and strategy courses in the program aim to develop a wide range of skills. * Field study courses intended to provide practical learning experience. * There will be special topic courses in seminar form.
* For BEEd addition to the General Education Courses which include Science, Mathematics, English, Filipino, Social Studies, Music, Arts, and PE, Home Economics, Livelihood Education, Values Education. * For BSEd specialization courses units for Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Natural Sciences, English, Filipino, Social Studies, Values Education, Technology Education, Music, Arts, Physical and Health Education and Islamic Studies.