Production of Quick Cured Ham
To preserve meat using chemical methods.
1. to produce ham.
2. to compute the amount of chemicals preservation agents needed to preserve meat.
3. to learn food safety practices in handling meat and its preservation. Materials:
Pork pigue, boneless, skinless
Pumping Pickle Solution (1.0 kg. meat)
Vitamin C Powder
*Ingredient that minimizes shrinkage in ham and promotes better sliceability. Dry Cure Mixture (1.0 kg. meat)
Vitamin C Powder
Clavo de comer
7-up or Sprite
1 med. Bottle
400 – 500.00
Please list down the equipment used during the experiment: basins, mixing bowls, weighing scales, etc.
2 mixing bowls
1 graduated cylinder
1 weighing scale
1 set measuring spoon
1 set measuring cup, dry ingredients
1 measuring cup, liquid ingredients
big kettle for boiling
1. Select good quality raw material.
2. Prepare 50 salinity, pumping pickle and dry cure mixture. 3. Inject pumping pickle into the lean portion only 1 inch apart (1/2 cup pickle per kilo of meat)
4. Massage for even distribution of pickle.
5. Apply dry cure mixture into the fat and lean portion.
6. Cure at room temperature for 8-10 hrs or refrigeratin temp for 2-7 day.s 7. Wash for 90 secs and tie with abaca twine, to form or shape, or put in ham net. 8. Cook with recommended ingredients for 2 ½ hours; at the middle of cooking time invert. (Simmering temperature is recommended.)
9. Cool. Remove abaca twine and caramelize w/ brown sugar.
10. Pack and store in freezer.
Guide questions for final report:
1. What is food preservation?
2. What are the ways of preserving meat?
3. In the preservation of meat using chemical methods/agents, enumerate the different types of chemical preservatives and describe their functions/mechanisms
in food preservation. (also use the MSDS for additional reference to answer this question)
What microorganisms are responsible for food spoilage, especially meat? What illnesses that can be derived from the spoiled foods, particularly meat? What food safety/health issues that might be associated with food preservatives. Can you suggest other methods of preserving meat that use natural preservatives? Draw the simple flow char using the basic procedure in this experiment. Write the main chemical reaction that is used in the production of the following: a. curing salt: sodium nitrite, sodium chloride
b. what are the other uses of sodium nitrite in industrial chemistry?
1. Draw the flow chart of the process if you are going to go into commercial production. Indicate the name/type of equipment that will be used in the commercial production of the pork ham.
Please join StudyMode to read the full document