SHORT ANSWER STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS - The Crucible
1. "So now they and their church found it necessary to deny any other sect its freedom, lest their New Jerusalem be defiled and corrupted by wrong and deceitful ideas." What is the irony in that statement?
2. Explain how the witch-hunt years were a time of "general revenge." 3. Identify Tituba, Abigail, and Betty.
4. Why does Mrs. Putnam believe there are witches in Salem?
5. Why is Thomas Putnam bitter?
6. Parris says, "Oh, Abigail, what proper payment for my charity! Now I am undone!" What does that mean?
7. What is Mary's argument to Abby?
8. Describe Proctor.
9. What happened between Abigail and John Proctor prior to the opening of the play? 10. What was the "sign" that Betty was bewitched?
11. Identify Francis and Rebecca Nurse.
12. Explain the political relationship between the Putnam and Nurse families. 13. What did Rebecca do to Betty?
14. What is Rebecca's explanation of the girls' behavior?
15. "There are wheels within wheels in this village and fires within fires." Explain. 16. What is Proctor's reason for his not regularly attending church? 17. What does Parris want?
18. Giles says, "Think on it now, it's a deep thing, and dark as a pit." To what is he referring literally and symbolically?
19. What do Putnam and Proctor argue about? What does this show? 20. Who is Rev. John Hale, and why does he come to Salem?
21. Hale says, "They [the books] must be [heavy]; they are weighted with authority." What is the significance of this remark?
22. To what did Tituba confess? Why?
23. What do the girls do at the end of Act One?
1. Where does Elizabeth want John to go, and what does she want him to do there? 2. What is John's response to her prodding?
3. What gift did Mary give Elizabeth?
4. What was the "evidence" against Sarah Good?
5. Why doesn't Proctor want Mary to go back to court?
6. Why does Elizabeth think Abigail wants to kill her?
7. Why did Hale come to Proctor's house?
8. What things are "suspicious" about Proctor and his family? 9. Hale asks Elizabeth if she believes in witches. What is her reply? 10. On what charge(s) was Rebecca Nurse arrested?
11. Why does Cheever come to the Proctor house?
12. Explain the significance of the needle in the "poppet."
13. What will happen to Proctor if he tries to discredit Abby? 14. Why doesn't Mary want to testify about the doll?
1. Why do Giles and Francis want to talk to Danforth?
2. What is Parris's argument against Proctor?
3. What does Mary tell Danforth?
4. When Danforth hears that Elizabeth is pregnant, what does he allow? 5. What paper did ninety-one people sign?
6. ". . . a person is either with this court or he must be counted against it, there be no road between." Explain the importance of Danforth's statement.
7. What quote did Proctor use to help Mary remain brave?
8. Of what does Giles accuse Putnam?
9. What is Hale's problem as Proctor and his friends present evidence to Danforth? 10. Hawthorne thinks of a test for Mary. What is it? Can she do it? Why or why not? 11. Proctor calls Abigail a whore, and he confesses his lechery. Danforth tests Proctor's statement by calling for Elizabeth and asking her why Abigail was dismissed. What does Elizabeth say? Why?
12. What do the girls do to Mary? What is her response?
13. What happens to Proctor?
14. What does Hale do?
1. What explanation does Cheever give for Parris' "mad look"? 2. What did Abigail do?
3. Parris says, "You cannot hang this sort. There is danger for me." What "sort" does he mean, and what is the danger to him?
4. Explain Danforth's reason that a pardon would not be just. 5. Why has Hale come back to Salem?
6. What does Hale want Elizabeth to do?
7. What happened to Giles?
8. Proctor says, "My honesty is broke, Elizabeth, I am no good man." Explain. 9. What "confession" did Elizabeth make to John?
10. What did Proctor do after he signed the confession? Why?...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document