Creative Writing Prompts
1. You’re digging in your garden and find a fist-sized nugget of gold. 2. Write about something ugly — war, fear, hate, cruelty — but find the beauty (silver lining) in it. 3. The asteroid was hurtling straight for…
4. Write about your early memories of faith, religion, or spirituality; yours or someone else’s. 5. 5. Silvery flakes drifted down, glittering in the bright light of the harvest moon. The blackbird… 6. The detective saw his opportunity. He grabbed the waitress’s arm and said… 7. There are three children sitting on a log near a stream. One of them looks up at the sky and says… 8. There is a magic talisman that allows its keeper to read minds. It falls into the hands of a young politician… 9. And you thought dragons didn’t exist…
10. Write about nature. Include the following words: hard drive, stapler, phone, car, and billboard. 11. The doctor put his hand on her arm and said gently, “You or the baby will survive. Not both. I’m sorry.” 12. You walk into your house and it’s completely different — furniture, decor, all changed. And nobody’s home. 13. The most beautiful smile I ever saw…
14. A twinkling eye can mean many things. The one that is twinkling at me right now… 15. When Sharon opened the door of the closet, she could not see her clothes, but a beautiful forest. a. 16The whole family sat down for the picnic, and the bear sat down with them. 16. A beggar has won a million dollars in a lottery. Write about the thoughts that emerge inside his mind and the behavior of the people around him before he goes and takes the money. 17. A group of students stumble upon a cave when they drift off from the other students while on a picnic in the forest. 18. Write a story that includes this sentence: "This pendant is the only way that you can enter the castle." 19. A spaceship stumbles onto a planet full of aliens that look like flowers. 20. The new house owner discovers an old photograph in the attic. 21. Gretchen has lied to save her friend from trouble. Now she is in more trouble because she has to keep lying to continue the story that she has told. When will her troubles end? 22. Police Officer McCarthy finds a dead body. There are no clues except for an elaborate gold key lying beside the body. 23. A random cleaning up of the house leads to the discovery of an old diary. 24. Pick the person you most want to see in the world right now. Write a monologue or a letter to that person and then continue the story.
25. Write a scene between your parents (living or deceased, it doesn’t matter) talking about you and your life.
26. Write down three names of important people from your past. Start writing a story or scene between three characters with those names.
28. Recount the story of your most romantic experience ever. You can change the names if you need to. Be very detailed about the entire encounter.
29. Write a story from the perspective of your favorite childhood pet. Make sure to include details about how the pet sees you and your family.
30. Write a scene about your best friends from high school talking about you while you aren’t there set during the present day.
31. Go back in your mind to the moment you chose your current religious stance. Describe the feelings that occurred during your transition from a different religion or any blind following you were previously doing.
32. Go back in your mind to the moment you chose your current political stance. Describe the feelings that occurred during your transition from a different party or any blind following you were previously doing.
33. Pick a person who has betrayed you. Write a story about the moment that this occurred.
34. Try to remember the moment where you felt you lost your innocence. Write a conversation between your present self and the past version of you from that moment.
35. Write a...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document