General statement: “that's what being young is all about. You have the courage and the daring to think that you can make a difference" - Ruby Dee
Thesis: An analysis on the short story dancer by Vickie sears shows that courage can be demonstrated in 3 ways; will power, overcoming of fear, and stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things.
Topic 1: will power
- She used dancing a treatment to overcome her violent nature and past -
Topic 2: overcoming of fear
- Started playing with the other kids considering how scared she was in the beginning - Stopped having the nightmares
- learning to dance
- Stopped chopping on her self and hitting the animals
- Getting along with her foster family
What’s stopping people from overcoming their fears? Themselves. Conquering fears is a difficult task, but it can be achieved with little steps and motivation. An example is how Clarissa overcame her fear. Due to her violent past, she had many nightmares, and was always to herself. Watching Molly Graybull at her first powwow was an eye opener to Clarissa. Fascinated, she started practising on her own with a tape recorder that was borrowed from her foster mother. As weeks passed, there was a change in her and she asked her foster mother to teach her some dance moves.
Topic 3: stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things - Borrows tape recorder from mom and practising on her own
- asking her mom to teach her how to dance
- She joined the Circle dance at her second powwow
Please join StudyMode to read the full document