The Civil Service Commission has the ff. powers and functions:
1. Administer and enforce the constitutional and statutory provisions on the merit system.
2. Prescribe, amend, and enforce suitable rules and regulations for carrying into effect the provisions of the Decree.
3. Promulgate policies, standards, and guidelines for the Civil Service adopt plans and programs to promote economical , efficient, and effective personnel administration in the government.
4. Supervise and coordinate the conduct of civil service examinations.
5. Approve appointments, whether original or promotional, to positions in the civil service.
6. Inspect and audit periodically the personnel work programs of the different departments, bureaus, offices, agencies and other instrumentalities of the government.
7. Hear and decide administrative disciplinary cases instituted directly with it or brought to it on appeal.
8. Perform such other functions as properly belonging to a central personnel agency.
NUMBER OF COMMISSIONERS:
Civil Service Commission is composed of a Chairman and two Commissioners.
1. They must be natural-born citizens of the Philippines
2. They must be at least 35 years of age at the time of their appointment (rather than assumption of office)
3. They must be persons with proven capacity for public administration. Knowledge of law or experience in the practice of law is not required by the Constitution presumably because the position calls more for administrative ability rather than legal competence. There must be a showing that they have been in the service as an effective public administrator. This is necessary because the Commissioners are responsible for an agency that performs significant functions
4. They must not have been candidates for any elective position in the elections immediately preceding