Topics: Supermajor, ConocoPhillips, Automotive fuel brands Pages: 1 (373 words) Published: October 15, 2008
Conoco, Incorporated was an American oil company founded in 1875 as the Continental Oil and Transportation Company. The company was originally based in Ogden Utah, and was a distributer of coal, oil, kerosene, grease, candles, and a number of other resources in the industry. Since the corporation’s creation it has risen in the ranks and become one of the largest oil providers in the country.

ConocoPhillips was created on August 30, 2002 through the merger of Conoco, Inc. and Phillips Petroleum Company. It is currently headquartered in Houston, Texas and has become an extremely influential and competitive international energy corporation since its founding. In fact, ConocoPhillips is one of six “supermajor” vertically integrated oil companies along with ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell, British Petroleum, Chevron Corporation, and Total S.A. As a group, these six “supermajors” control close to 5% of global oil and gas reserves in the world with the largest, ExxonMobil, ranked number 14. On the other hand, 95% of global oil and gas reserves are controlled by state-owned oil companies mostly located in the Middle East.

There are a number of obvious draws to ConocoPhillips as far as employment goes. First and foremost, ConocoPhillips is the third-largest energy provider in the United States. This fact alone is an incredibly appealing statement that is enough of a draw for most students on its own. Secondly, its headquarter location is extremely attractive, at least for a substantial portion of students at the University of Texas including me. Many students at Texas would prefer not to leave the state, which is often hard to accommodate. Because ConocoPhillips is based in Houston, a future in the state of Texas is a very likely possibility. At least for me, this location is one of the corporation’s most appealing attributes. Finally, the compensation and benefits at ConocoPhillips are both fair and flexible. Employees at ConocoPhillips are rewarded with competitive...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Knwledge Management Conocophillips Essay
  • ConocoPhillips Newsletter Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free