* A personal computer (PC) is a general-purpose computer, whose size, capabilities, and original sale price makes it useful for individuals, and which is intended to be operated directly by an end-user with no intervening computer operator. * Software applications for most personal computers include, but are not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, Web browsers and e-mail clients, digital mediaplayback, games, and myriad personal productivity and special-purpose software applications. Gaming Computer
* A gaming computer is a standard desktop computer that typically has high-performance hardware, such as a more powerful video card, processor, and memory, in order to handle the requirements of demanding video games Home theater PC
* A home theater PC (HTPC) is a convergence device that combines the functions of a personal computer and a digital video recorder. It is connected to a television or a television-sizedcomputer display and is often used as a digital photo, music, video player, TV receiver and digital video recorder. Tablet PC
* A tablet PC is a notebook or slate-shaped mobile computer. Its touchscreen graphics tablet/screen hybrid technology allows the user to operate the computer with a stylus or digital pen, or a fingertip, instead of a keyboard or mouse. Keyboard
* In computing, a keyboard is an arrangement of buttons that each correspond to a function, letter, or number. They are the primary devices of inputting text. * In most cases, they contain an array of keys specifically organized with the corresponding letters, numbers, and functions printed or engraved on the button. They are generally designed around an operators language -------------------------------------------------
* Computer software is any kind of computer program, procedure, or documentation that performs some task on a computer system. * The term includes application software such as word processors which perform productive tasks for users, system software such as operating systems, which interface with computer hardware to provide the necessary services for application software, and middleware which controls and co-ordinates distributed systems. * Software applications for word processing, Internet browsing, Internet faxing, e-mail and other digital messaging, multimedia playback, computer game play and computer programming are common. WORD PROCESSING PROGRAMS:
* Word processing programs are used to type, correct, rearrange, or delete text in letters, memos, reports, and school assignments. Spreadsheet programs enable individuals to prepare tables easily. * The users of such programs establish rules for handling large groups of numbers. For example, using a spreadsheet program, a person can enter some numbers into a table and the program will calculate and fill in the rest of the table. * When the user changes one number in the table, the other numbers will change according to the rules established by that user. * Spreadsheets may be used for preparing budgets and financial plans, balancing a chequebook, or keeping track of personal investments.
* Database programs allow a computer to store large amounts of data (information) in a systematic way. Such data might include the name, address, telephone number, salary, and starting date of every employee in a company. * The computer could then be asked to produce a list of all employees who receive a certain salary. COMMUNICATION PROGRAMS:
* Communication programs connect a personal computer to other computers. People can thereby exchange information with one another via their personal computers. * In addition, communication programs enable people to link their personal computers with databanks. * Databanks are huge collections of information stored in large centralized computers. * News, financial and travel information, and other data of interest to many...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document