The most popular threat that face computers are viruses,
A virus is a program written intentionally to change the way your computer operates without your permission or knowledge. Their behavior is similar to how real-life biological viruses work, and the ways of dealing with them can be quite similar as well! A virus attaches copies of it to other files such as program files or documents and is inactive until you run an infected program or open an infected document. When activated, a virus may damage or delete files, cause erratic system behavior, display messages or even erase your hard disk. Maybe all of you know these information about computer viruses ,but do you know what was the first virus appeared in the world , who created it He is Richard Skrenta( showing his picture in the powerpoint)
Other type of threats are Worms
They are the most effective and dangerous threats because they replicate and spread by them self without even opening the file, hackers often use this type to gain access to the computers that they infect. Worms can also spread by copying themselves from disk to disk or by email. The most dangerous worm ever created is I LOVE YOU worm. It was first noticed in Philippines on May 4 2000 and then spread all over world in just one day! Affecting 10% internet users all around the world and causing loss of about $5.5 billion. It arrives in email inbox with subject “ILOVEYOU”. It had an attachment “LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs”. Also, it sent the worm to everyone on victim contact list. Although, worm spread very fast. Only windows users were affected.
The other type of threats is Trojan horse;
Trojan horses are programs that appear to serve some useful purpose or provide entertainment; it looks like an interesting program with a beautiful link. It’s mostly annoying but some times it damages files. I will show you how it’s done briefly…( in the computer)
I talked to you about some of the threats; and know I will tell you how to protect your self from them
1. Never open an e-mail, attachment, or click on an e-mail link from any unknown source.
2. Use antivirus software that includes e-mail scanning. I recommend Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010(have a sample and show the students) or Shield Deluxe anti virus
3. Install a firewall on your computer.
4. Change your password regularly and create a smart password with different characters. 5. Always back up your system in case your computer was attacked you not lose your data.
But what if your computer was attacked, what you will do if you faced a hacker or your e-mail was stolen. Don’t worry I will tell you what to do
Bad news—you've suffered a virus attack. Take a few seconds to get over the initial shock, but only a few seconds. =) It can quickly go through your system, destroying files, corrupting data, rendering applications useless, and in general causing many problems. You need to act immediately. Follow the steps below to remove the virus and restore your. - First of all disconnect the machine from the network to not infect other computer. - Once the computer has been disconnected, you need to remove the virus by cleaning up the system Use virus removal tools written for the specific virus causing the damage. - If your operating system is completely destroyed, you'll need to reinstall. Use the 'quick restore' CD that came with your computer to restore your computer to its original configuration. - Scan for viruses. After restoring, scan your entire network from viruses.
It is very easy to deal with a virus but what if you had to deal with a haker a person who breaks into computers or a cracker a person who steals passwords. But just be aware that not all hackers are dangerous or have bad intention some times they just do it for fun. I am going to try (only trying) to come up with some good ways to either force the hacker to leave or have them leave legally. - First off all, just try to avoid them
- When you are not using your computer, disconnect it from the Internet. One of the worst things that can happen is when a hacker breaks into your computer and you don't even know it - Never post your IP address in a public place. This is like inviting a hacker to your door. Once they know your Internet Protocol address (four numbers divided by periods e.g. 168.320.001.01) they can begin hacking you. - but if your computer is already been hacked , just report hacking by taking a recording and screenshots. Don't be afraid of being targeted.
In conclusion , computer threats maybe not as important as some of other topics discussed . but still just as real ! will viruses kill anyone?..probably not. Will they cause an epidemic? I doubt it. But computer threats are larger threats to society than most people realize. Therefore , weather you are writing a college report or your saving your best friend picture, just remember what are the threats that can in a blink destroy everything . so write away protect yourself because you never know when you'll be attacked.