Prepare a list of 5 competencies for your own position. Explain why you choose these competencies and what do they include behaviorally?
Competencies are the core elements of talent management practices that are the demonstrable and measurable knowledge, skills, behaviours, personal characteristics that is related with the success of the job. Choosing the right competencies allows employers to:
• Plan how they will organize and develop their workforce.
• Determine which job classes best fit their business needs.
• Recruit and select the best employees.
• Manage and train employees effectively.
• Develop staff to fill future vacancies.
Now,I am not working but I am a math teacher.For my position, competencies are;
Interacting/Communicating with Students: I choose this competency because I must be able to positively interact with all students. This includes difficult students, students who work below grade-level and students whose personalities just grate on a teacher. When classroom interaction occurs, a teacher may not be able to identify all the relevant factors that were used to develop a meaningful dialogue. Teachers must put aside their prejudices and feelings in order to treat all students with respect, provide them with equal opportunities for learning.
• Learn students’ names
• Be both a good listener and speaker
• Expresses ideas concisely in oral speech.
• Maintains eye contact when speaking with students.
• We should use a loud voice.
• Communicating effectively with parents
• Answer questions in front of a class will involve getting their attention and making them comfortable enough to speak up.
• Comment on the behavior, not on the person.
Patience: I think, It is most important thing for teachers of subjects in science and mathematics. Because I deal with all sorts of personalities in the classroom. Some students can comprehend any subject material with minimal effort, while others may require more extensive explanations that may have to be repeated a number of times. Patience helps teachers solve problems that require a certain degree of calmness and clear thinking. Teachers who handle the negative behavior of students with patience will be able to reduce or eliminate the behavior from their classroom. Teachers need patience in order to develop themselves as professionals. By patiently working toward their goals, they will be able to get most out of their journey there. Patience works well with the qualities of experience and creativity, because it assists in developing those qualities through time. If these characteristics are lacking, a teacher cannot be an effective educator.
• Teachers of math and science generally have extensive knowledge of the subject matter they teach.
• Understand and individualize the students.
• Be positive.
Good at Lesson Plan Design: I choose this competence because of all teachers must be capable of designing lesson plans to meet student needs and cover the standards. This requires knowing how to choose and create instructional materials to accommodate students at different levels.It must include ;
• what materials will be needed
• how much time does the lesson take
• is the lesson appropriate for the students' level of comprehension
• are you addressing a variety of learning styles and teaching at more than the basic level of recall
• are you comfortable with the content - do you know the content well enough to teach it.
Classroom Management: Classroom management is about that teachers understand in more than one way the psychological and developmental levels of their students.It is the techniques teachers use to maintain control in the classroom.Teacher must set high expectations fot student performance and behavior by creating safe learning classroom.Because, student should not have to worry about being bullied in the classroom and should feel comfortable when speaking up.
• I must create a safe learning environment in classroom.
• Be positive with expectations of success in the course
• As a teacher,I also must able to collaborate with all student in the classroom within any activity.
• Use of materials and equipment such as the ruler, miter,dividers, supplies, and special equipment such as mathematica…
• I must aware of differences between students.
• I can choose a juicy theme to the lesson when class is boring.This will automaticaly give them some motivation and interest.
Reward and Praise: Praise and reward systems can help to establish a positive habits in schools by recognising the good behaviour and effort of pupils. A teacher should also gives praise to the class as a whole to encourage the class and also build team unity.I praise my students when they accomplish something challenging or new especially when they solve the any problem.For example, sometimes I use kind of chocolates in order to solve any math problem from my student in the classroom.Because , I know that it is important for student’s motivation. Some of rewards may not be tangible: simple praise, public appreciation and positive feedbacks are examples of intangible or verbal rewards.
• Use words of “thanks”.
• Look for positive things to say about a students work even when pointing out problems or mistakes with the work.
• Focus the child on his/her own pleasure at achieving.