The topic my group choose was Communication. Now when we thought about this we knew that this was such a broad topic. It can range from how people communicate, communication barriers, social networks, different forms of communication, how it can be used in the work place to how different genders react towards communication. Since me and my team members all originated in different generations we allotted different communication topics based upon how important they were to us or how they played a big role in the generation we evolved in. Since I was born in the generation Y era my paper will focus on the evolution and the modern forms of media for example social media, e-mail and how communication is an important factor in helping organizations improve safety. Research Question
1. What importance does communication have on relaying safety in organizations? 2. What is the prevalence of email usage?
3. What are the gender differences in social networking?
Reviews of Literature
The impact of organizational climate on safety and individual behavior In 2000, the Safety Science Journal released a study by Neal,A. Griffen . The researcher acquired information from questionnaire responses from 2 samples of employees working at a manufacturing plant in the U.S. The workers shared how safety was implemented throughout the company in the questionnaire and about 1000 out of 9,000 workers were surveyed. This research was conducted to examine the importance of specific safety communication factors in relation to safety climate and safety behaviors. Neal stated that communication was amongst a range of factors that compromised safety climate. When employees notice that you try to implement safety communication it is valued. A series of questions were involved in gathering data. It was determined that communicating with employees gave them a final structure that was composed of 3 factors (1) safety behavior (2) safety information- seeking intentions, and...
References: • Neal,A. Griffen , M.A ,& Hart, P.M., (2000) . The impact of organizational climate on safety and individual behavior. Safety Science , 34, 99-100.
• Susan, S. E. (2009). Interpersonal communication consequences of email non- response. The Flordia Communication Journal, 45-63.
• Clipson, T. W. (2012). The social networking arena: Battle of the sexes. Social Networking , 75, 64-67.
• Emma, G. (2012, June 21). Social media by gender: Women dominate pinterest, twitter, men dominate reddit, youtube (infographic) [Web log comment]. Retrieved from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/social-media-by-gender-women-pinterest-men-reddit-infographic_n_1613812.html
• Robert, G. (2007, October 29). Effective communication through email [Online forum comment]. Retrieved from http://voices.yahoo.com/effective-communication-through-email-626165.html
Please join StudyMode to read the full document