1. In every organization, workers receive and send information daily. The flow of this information should be ____________. A)upward and downward
x B)downward only
2. When we consider the communication activities of an organization from an overall point of view, the activities fall into three broad categories. A)electronic, face-to-face, and internal
B)external operational, external, and personal
x C)internal operational, external operational, and personal D)operational, face-to-face, and personal
3. Communicating with groups and people outside the organization involves communicating with _____________. A)suppliers
x D)all of the above
4. In the workplace, internal personal communication ___________. A)is unacceptable
x B)can have a significant impact on the success of the operation C)should be encouraged with no restrictions
D)all of the above
5. An email message sent from the production supervisor to a customer is classified: x A)external-operational communication
D)none of the above
6. The informal network of an organization consists of:
A)a single relationship of networks.
x B)a complex relationship of small networks.
C)a simple, straight-line relationship.
D)a relationship restricted to gossipers.
7. Which of the following is not one of the basic truths about the communication process? x A)The symbols of communication are perfect.
B)Meanings sent are not always received.
C)Meanings are in the receiver's mind.
D)The symbols of communication are imperfect.
8. Select the statement about the communication process that is not true. A)Communication takes many forms-oral, written and computer. B)Communication is vital to every part of business. x C)Your performance in business will not be judged by your communication ability. D)If you communicate well, you are likely to be promoted.
9. Which of the following is not an example of internal-operational communication? A)giving directives
x C)placing orders with suppliers
D)requesting data from subordinates
10. If any of the following is not an example of external-operational communication mark it. X A)the company's web site B)radio and television advertising
C)employee community service
D)all of the above
11. Mark the words most likely not to be true about personal communication within an organization. A)Positively affects workers' attitudes.
B)Influences how people feel about others.
C)Negatively affects workers' performance.
x D)Has very little effect on workers.
12. Mark the most inappropriate comment about the grapevine in an organization: A)Wise managers ignore it.
B)It carries much gossip and rumor.
x C)It carries more information than the formal communication network. D)Its shortcomings are like those of the organization's members.
13. Mark the most inappropriate of these comments about the communication process: x A)Everyone filters information in the same way. B)Messages are unintentionally altered by this phase of the communication process. C)Word choice may be perceived in different ways by different people. D)The message received is not precisely the message sent.
14. Which of the following statements is not true with respect to the difference between oral and written communication? A)Oral communication is more likely to involve a creative element. xB)Oral communication has shorter cycles.
C)Written communication involves fewer cycles.
D)Written communication has longer cycles.
15. Mark the most correct completion of this sentence beginning: Cross-cultural communication: A)Should be jargon to be more informal.
x B)Is difficult because no precise translation may exist. C)Deals only with words and their meanings.
D)Is consistent because all senders and receivers share a common language background.