College Tuition

Topics: United States, Higher education, College Pages: 3 (945 words) Published: September 29, 2010
College Tuition
College tuition continues to rise in the United States each year. The price of a higher education has nearly doubled in the last 15 years and is still rising. In 1995 the average annual cost of attending a public institution was just 8,000$. College affordability is declining. Basing college tuition on parental or individual income may be looked upon as unfair. However, it will result in a higher education rate, higher economical status for the U.S, and a better work force. Income based tuition has many plus sides and would do a great deal of good for the United States of America.

Basing the cost of college tuition on income would result in a higher education rate. The immediate college enrollment rate is drastically higher for a student in a higher income family than in a lower income family. The national center for educational statistics shows many trends that support this claim. Students coming from an upper class family have the ability to enroll in college right out of high school because for them it is affordable, however for students in a lower income family tuition rates make that near impossible. Out of 63,100,100 high school graduate students statistics show just 33.28% go on to college. “The editors desk”, shares this information with the public. With just 33% that leaves 67% of students, which is a significant number, who do not go onto college right after graduating high school due to being unaffordable. Some may say that the students who do not attend college do it out of choice, however research by various groups prove this to be a very large understatement. Cheryl Allebrand proves that without the help of financial aid or loans, over half of the families in America can not afford to send their child to college. All of this shows that if college tuition was based on a family’s income then more students would be able to attend college and become socially and economically successful.

Income based tuition would...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • The Rising Price of Tuition Fees Essay
  • College Tuition Rztes Essay
  • Making College Tuition Cheaper Essay
  • Rising Tuition Essay
  • essay on college tuition
  • Increase of Tuition Fee Essay
  • College Tuition Costs Essay
  • The Effects of High Tuition Fee to the Uk Economy Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free