Century World History
Cold War Essay Questions
Each class will be given 4 of the following questions and will have 45 minutes to write an essay format answer. Remember that many of these prompts are really the same prompt with a twist. That will be the case next year as well. 1) For what reasons and to what extent, did the Yalta Conference of February 1945 contribute to the origins of the Cold War? (2011 TZ1)
2) For what reasons and to what extent did the Yalta Conference of July 1945 contribute to the development of the Cold War? (2011 TZ2)
3) To what extent did events in Eastern European countries contribute to the end of the Cold War? (2011 TZ1)
4) With reference to
country, assess the social impact of the Cold War.
*I include this prompt more
FYI. To answer this question well you would need specific examples of sports, art, music, TV, radio and fashion which we haven’t gone into in depth in class. But if you feel like doing a little extra research...it just might show up.
5) Evaluate the role of the policies of the United States in the origins of the Cold War between 1945 and 1949.
6) Compare and contrast the role of two leaders, each chosen from a different region in the development of the Cold War between 1953 and 1964.
7) Why did détente develop between 1969 and 1979?
8) Analyze the impact of Afghanistan (1979-1988) on the development of the Cold War. 9) “The Cold War came to an end primarily because of Gorbachev’s changes in Soviet policies.” To what extent do you agree with this statement.
10) Evaluate the impact of the Cold War on the culture of two countries, each chosen from a different region.
11) “The Cold War came to an end due to the hard-line approach of Ronald Reagan’s policies in the early 1980s.” To what extent do you agree with this statement?
12) Discuss the economic impact of the Cold War in
countries, each chosen from a different region.
13) Assess the part played by differing ideologies...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document