As a mother, I felt it was important to research this topic.
C. Today, I will inform you on what childhood obesity is, as well as some of it’s
health risk and some of it’s causes.
A. What is Childhood Obesity?
1. Mayo Clinic defines it as a serious medical condition that affects children and adolescents.
2. The Center for Disease Control, defined obesity in children or adolescents as those individuals with a body mass index (BMI) at or above the 95% percentile. B.
What are some of the risk?
1. Being overweight during childhood increases the risk of developing
cardiovascular disease, including high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and
abnormal glucose tolerance.
2. Children and adolescents who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems such as stigmatization and poor self–esteem.
What are some of the causes?
1. Watching television, using the computer and playing video games occupy a large percentage of children’s leisure time, causing a lack of physical activity.
2. Children and teens are eating more food away from home, drinking more
sugar-sweetened drinks and snacking more frequently. III. Conclusion
1. I hope that you are now more informed on what Childhood Obesity is, as well as some of it’s risk and causes.
2. “Because of the increasing rates of obesity, unhealthy eating habits and physical inactivity, we may see the first generation that will be less healthy and have a shorter life expectancy than their parents." Surgeon General Richard Carmona...
Barbour, Scott. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2010 “Obesity in Children Is a Serious Problem. Obesity. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. From “Childhood Overweight and Obesity.” www.cdc.gov. 2009. Opposing Viewpoints In Context. Web. 25 Mar 2013.
Green, Gregory, Brenda Hargrove, and Cleareance Riley. “Physical Activity and Childhood Obesity: Strategies and Solutions for Schools and Parents.: Education 132.4 (2012): Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 25 Mar 2013
orionadv. She’s only 14. YouTube. www.youtube.com
“Overweight in Children.” Weight Management. American Heart Association. Jan 16,2013. www.heart.org
Salazar, Maria and Lea S. Eiland (2007). “Childhood Obesisty: A New Menance.” J Pediatr Phamacol Ther; 12. www.ppag.org
Please join StudyMode to read the full document