1. How many of you guys have heard or seen the show Toddler and Tiaras? It’s a show where toddlers and young children take stage wearing make ups, spray tans and fake hair to be judged on beauty, personality and costumes. Tiaras are following families on their guest for sparkly crowns, big tittles, and lots of cash.
2. Preview : I think child beauty pageant is absolutely unacceptable. Children should be on the play ground playing games, be active and have fun not, wear makeup and have fake tan and get judged for their “beauty”.
3. Thesis: We should show and teach the younger generation that beauty is not everything;
we should not let little young girls participate in beauty contest. They are growing too
fast, they don’t even understand the whole thing and usually they are dragged by their
parents & you don’t even know if that’s actually something the child wants to do.
1. First main point : Is beauty everything?
What are we really teaching these young kids? When a interviewer asks most child beauty contestants “which one would you rather be? Smart or beautiful?” and most of them answered beautiful, this is something not a little 5-8 year old should be responding. It’s scary enough to know that they have an idea of what beauty means, this is something we should only worry about when we are older. * Sub point: These beauty pageant contests has taught them that being beautiful means being fake and superficial. * Sub point: They are growing too fast, makeup and hair products can do a lot of harm to little kids face and their hair. * Sub point: I understand that some pageant are for scholarships, good cause and family bonding time but there are always other ways you can do those things. I think entering a beauty contest is little bit extreme and can really ruin how kids feel about themselves and the world. * Sub point: It wouldn’t be bad if they are doing natural beauty contest, I don’t have anything against them but most of the child beauty pageant are not.
Transition: some parents take the beauty pageant too far and far too serious because some of them took drastic measures.
Second main point: Botox
1. This is one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen and heard “a mother injected her 8-year old daughter with Botox.” (Good morning America)
The mother said “I knew she was complaining about her face, having wrinkles, and things like that when I brought it up to Britney she was all for it”
2. What kid needs Botox for wrinkles? And do these parents do whatever their children ask for? I don’t want to judge how to raise their own children but injecting your own kid with Botox is crossing the line. She also admitted that she was actually encouraged by other stage mothers and they do it to their children. 3. The Botox procedure is done by the mother herself; she is not even a doctor? When they asked little Britney if Botox hurt she said “ yes but its less than getting her legs waxed”
Transition: Is it really for their children? Why are these parents taking it so far?
Third main point:
1. Of course all these pageant moms say they are doing this for their kid, but teaching their kids to being superficial and fake is not the right way. They want their kid to win, they make it important for their kids to win and these young kids are being pressure to win “beauty” contest. The parents usually say it makes their daughter feels beautiful, confidences and get use to pressure, what if they lose? What does that do to the kid? 2. These kids are not ready for those things; they need to learn those slowly. Growing up too fast is bad for them and giving them a mental picture that beauty is everything.
Conclusion : Which brings me back to my first main point: that we should be teaching our kids to have fun and tell them how education is important and outside beauty is important. The only beauty they should know is about inner beauty and being a nice person not about make ups and being skinny.
Clincher: In conclusion, I hope all of you guys feels the same way as me or at least close to it because these little kids don’t need to be judged on their “beauty” don’t let them ruin their childhood and say NO to child beauty pageant.