CHEM 135 Take Home Exam Sp 2014
Type in the blocks and the chart will expand as needed. Good luck. Return by 5 p.m. Saturday, April 26, 2014. Thank you. Ms. Vallee
1. A. Chiral- An object that cannot lay over on its mirror image (pg291). B. Non-superimposable- A molecule that can be placed on top of its mirror image (http://www.chemeddl.org) C. enantiomer- mirror images of each other (pg292).
16. Trans Fats
2. A. Organic Chemistry- The chemistry of carbon compounds (pg264). B. Biochemistry- The chemistry of life (pg290).
17. Cholesterol in your diet is important because:
1.) Without them, children would not grow normally.
2.) Essential for blood pressure regulation
3.) increases immune response to injury and infection
3. If it rotates clockwise then it is referred to as dextrorotatory, and if it rotates counter clock wise then it is referred to as levorotatory (pg292-293).
18. Glycine (pg309)
19. Protein is a very good source of amino acids, because it contains 20 of them (pg310).
5. Meso compound Is a molecule with multiple centers that can overlap on its mirror image (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meso_compound).
20. A peptide bond is found between two amino acids (pg310).
6. Racemic Mixture- A mixture of equal amounts of enantiomers (pg294).
21. Myoglobin and hemoglobin are both mainly protein with a heme prosthetic group (pg312).
22. Protein (http://blog.science-matters.org/)
8. Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid (pg300).
23. Primary protein structure, Secondary protein structure, tertiary protein structure, and quaternary protein structure (pg314-315).
9. A. Lactose-Glucose and Galactose
B. Maltose-Glucose and Glucose
C. Sucrose-Glucose and Fructose...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document