1. New technologies in the latter half of the nineteenth century revolutionized everyday life and transformed the world’s economy. What were some of those new technologies, and how did they affect society?
2. Why did the populations of Euro-American cities grow so fast between 1850 and 1914, and how did technological transformation in those cities affect urban life?
3. Describe the origins and aims of labor movements and socialist politics in the late nineteenth century.
4. Describe the role of nationalism in the creation of Germany, both before and after 1871. Include a summary of liberal and conservative nationalism in your answer.
5. If the German, British, and French peoples were strengthened by the forces of nationalism, why did nationalism weaken Russia and Austria-Hungary?
6. Compare and contrast the influence of Europe and the United States on China and Japan between 1850 and 1914.