Chapter 15 Study Guide
The Resurgence of Empire in East Asia
A. Identification – State in your own words what each of the following terms means and why it is significant to a study of world history. Those terms with an asterisk may be defined in the glossary.
Bureaucracy of merit
Tale of Genji
B. Study Questions – Answer the following questions. Once you have read the chapter, you should be able to discuss each question fully.
What is the significance of the Grand Canal?
Compare and contrast the Tang and the Song dynasties.
What policies helped to account for the early success of the Tang?
Explain how China’s view of itself as the Middle Kingdom shaped foreign relations. 5. What factors led to the decline of the Song?
6. What agricultural developments helped to transform the Chinese society?
7. What important technological, industrial, and commercial innovations occurred during this period?
8. Trace the development of Buddhism in China and how it interacted with Daoism and Confucianism.
9. What was the extent and nature of the influence of China on Korea, Vietnam, and
10. What is the significance of foot binding?
C. “BIG History” – Identify the big picture (global context) of the chapter.
AP World History
Culture/Civilization:___________________________________ Time Span:_______________
Math & Science
Type of System