1. All of the following are major factors in determining what we eat EXCEPT the _____ of food.
2. The two most important elements in the selection of food for most people are
A. taste and texture of food.
B. health and prevention of disease.
C. time and convenience.
D. energy and fat content.
3. Neophobia related to food is most often experienced by
B. small children.
C. older adults.
D. menopausal women.
4. Which of the following characteristics most discourages the selection of a food?
A. bright color of the package
B. dull color of the food
C. gummy consistency of the food
D. nutrient density of the food
5. All of the following are considered cognitive influences on food choices EXCEPT
A. beliefs about nutrition and health.
B. advertising in the media and on food labels.
C. emotional needs related to a food choice.
D. taste sensitivity.
6. Jeremy is a 2-year-old who eats dirt. His behavior is an example of
C. soil mania.
7. Which situation would best describe the term pica?
A. an athlete taking a protein powder supplement
B. a pregnant woman eating dirt or clay
C. an older adult experiencing signs of milk intolerance
D. a toddler insisting that he eat only macaroni and cheese every day
8. Which of the following statements is true?
A. Only ancient cultures had specific food preferences.
B. The food preferences of a culture are usually discarded as soon as the culture becomes integrated into another group.
C. Cultural food preferences are more likely to be practiced by the elders of a group.
D. Food habits are the last habits to change when a person adapts to a new culture.