Directions: Answer all questions in complete sentences. Please type answers, but you do not need to retype questions. You do not need to attach any additional sheets from the lab manual.
(5 points each. 50 points total)
1. What is the general formula for cellular respiration?The general formula for cellular respiration is organic compounds+oxygyn→co2+02+energy-or-C6 H12 06+602→6C02+6H20+~38ATP
2. Where does cellular respiration take place? Cellular respiration takes place in the cells of organisms.
3. What is negative pressure inhalation? Negative pressure inhalation is the pressure from breathing in.
4. What is positive pressure exhalation? Positive pressure inhalation is the pressure from letting out a breath.
5. What is excretion?Excretion is how we get rid of waste and other non-useful things in our body. 6. Why is respiration and excretion studied together?Because respiration is the study of breathing and breathing is another way we get rid of waste gases.
7. Is ventilation the same thing as respiration? No, ventilation is the exchange of air inside and outside a building.
8. As you pull the rubber diaphragm down on the lung model, what happens to the pressure and volume inside the thoracic cavity? Does this movement correspond to your diaphragm muscle contracting or relaxing? The volume decreases and the pressure increases inside the thoracic cavity, this corresponds to my diaphragm contracting.
9. As you push up on the rubber diaphragm on the lung model, what happens to the pressure and volume inside the thoracic cavity? Does this movement correspond to your diaphragm muscle contracting or relaxing?The volume increases and the pressure decreases inside the thoracic cavity, this correspond to my diaphragm relaxing.
10. Go to the American Lung Association website (COPD fact sheet). What two diseases fall under the term COPD? List three risk factors