Case Study - Help Desk

Topics: Customer service, Time series analysis, Forecasting Pages: 5 (1390 words) Published: August 11, 2013
BankUSA Help Desk - Case Study
Brent Schmitz
Business 4208
Notre Dame de Namur
July 28, 2013

Abstract
The purpose of this case study is to recommend how to increase the overall effectiveness and improve the planning of the Help Desk business unit for BankUSA. This study will look at what are the service management characteristics of the customer service representative, create a suggested mission statement for the Help Desk and review which forecasting technique is best used by the team.

BankUSA Help Desk - Case Study
The Help Desk of BankUSA is the primary customer contact unit within fiduciary operations. The department consists of 20 employees broken down into 14 full-time customer service representatives (CSRs), 3 CSR support employees and 3 managers (Collier & Evans, 2013). The senior manager of the Help Desk, Dot Gifford, has established a team to address short-term forecasting. The Help Desk currently handles approximately 2000 calls a week from over 50 different internal processes and organizational units. This comprises approximately 98% of their daily call volume. The remaining 2% of calls originate from designated external customers that are mostly comprised of large estate and trust administrators. The team has several additional items to discern in addition to the short-term forecasting of call volume and must be ready to review all items at an informal presentation in 10 days time.

Service Management Characteristics
The initial question that must be asked is, what are the service management characteristics of the CSR job? We can start by looking at the service-encounter design for the Help Desk (Collier & Evans, 2013).

1. Customer Contact: The CSR position requires a physical interaction between the customer and CSR and would be characterized as a high contact system. As a result, the CSR must be able to handle customer concerns by making the customer feel as if they are their only priority.

2. CSR Selection, Training and Empowerment: Each CSR needs to be able to handle the customer’s needs quickly and efficiently. Because of this requirement, CSRs will need to be highly independent and self motivated when it comes to addressing the customer’s needs. The ability of a potential CSR to handle multiple concerns at a time will need to be demonstrated prior to selection. Additionally, once trained, the CSR will need to have the ability to make decisions on their level as much as possible to provide the customer a sense of confidence that they are speaking to the right person for their problem.

3. CSR Recognition: Keeping each CSR engaged in the daily routine will be key to having an effective Help Desk experience for the customer. Management will need to provide not only an effective compensation package to retain CSRs, but will need to regularly recognize consistent service excellence and those occasions where a CSR provides an outstanding service experience.

4. Service Recovery: Tied closely with CSR empowerment, each CSR must be able to make the appropriate service recovery when necessary. While some service recoveries may require a manager’s involvement, this should be limited, with the largest portion of control for service recovery lying in the hands of the CSR.

As Ford and Bowen (2008) point out, the management team of the Help Desk need to ensure each CSR is producing customer solutions through memorable experiences. It is simply no longer acceptable to just fix a problem for a customer, but each CSR needs to provide an experience that exceeds the customer’s expectations.

Help Desk Mission Statement
The next question for the team is to define the mission statement and create an overall strategy for the Help Desk. The mission statement for the Help Desk should identify “what business we are in?” and “what is our business for?” (Darbi, 2012). Based on this definition, the Help Desk could define their mission...

References: Collier, D.A. & Evans, J.R. (2013). OM4: Student Edition. Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.
Darbi, W. (2012). Of Mission and Vision Statements and Their Potential Impact on Employee Behaviour and Attitudes: The Case of A Public But Profit-Oriented Tertiary Institution. International Journal Of Business & Social Science, 3(14), 95-109.
Ford, R. C., & Bowen, D. E. (2008). A Service-Dominant Logic for Management Education: It 's Time. Academy Of Management Learning & Education, 7(2), 224-243.

Appendix A
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • case study Essay
  • case study Essay
  • Case Study Essay
  • Essay on case study
  • Help Desk International Research Paper
  • Help Desk Research Paper
  • Essay about Mk Case Study
  • Case Study Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free