Caribbean and Barbados

Topics: Caribbean, Barbados, Caribbean Sea Pages: 3 (948 words) Published: October 8, 1999

Barbados is a small country located in the Caribbean Sea. The capital is Bridgetown with a population of about 8,789. The head of state of Barbados is Queen Elizabeth II and she is represented by General Dame Nita Barrow. The total population of the country is around 252,000. The main language is English and the predominant religion is Christianity. Their date of independence was November 30, 1966.

Barbados is the eastern most Caribbean Island. It is about 200 miles North-North East of Trinidad and about 100 miles East-South East of St. Lucia. It is the second smallest country in the Western Hemisphere. The major urban centers in the area include Bridgetown, Speightstown, Oistins, and Holetown. The land is mainly flat except for a series of ridges that rise up to about 1,000 feet and then falling towards the sea.

The climate of the region consists of tropical temperatures influenced by the Northeast trade winds. The average annual temperature is approximately 77 degrees Fahrenheit. The daily temperatures rarely get above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. The dry season is cool, while the wet season is slightly warmer. The main rains come during the months of July, August, September, October, and November. The annual average rainfall is 40 inches in the coastal areas and 90 inches in the central areas.

The net migration into Barbados is 4.82 per 1000. The annual growth rate is 0.4%, which is one of the lowest in the world. The annual birthrate is 15.45 per 1000, and the annual deathrate is 8.27 per 1000. Barbados ranks fourth in the World in population density with the overall density being 1526 per square mile. The whole island is inhabited, leaving no sparsely populated areas. The main race is Negro, which is about 92% of the population. The remainder of the population is consists of Whites (3.8%), Mulattoes (3.8%), and East Indians (0.4%). About 70% of the population is Anglican. The other 30% belong to various...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Barbados Essay
  • Caribbean Revolts Essay
  • caribbean Essay
  • Essay on Economic and Social Problems In The Caribbean
  • Caribbean Cultural Icons Essay
  • Barbados: Overview Essay
  • Caribbean Studies Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free