Unit 1 Review Sheet – The First Civilizations
Directions: Use your “Notes and Handouts” section of your binder to complete the following. (Some vocabulary terms can be found in your bellringers though.) Complete 20 questions; any extra will be counted as extra credit! [Textbook Selections from Core Concept Handbook Part 1, Chapters 1, 2, & 3)
1. What is a historian versus an archaeologist, and what do they study? (The definition please!)
2. What is the difference between B.C. and A.D. as well as B.C.E. and C.E.?
3. How do we organize time?
4. What is the difference between a primary source and secondary source? List examples!
5. What is an artifact versus a fossil?
6. Compare and contrast the Paleolithic and Neolithic ages.
“_____ Stone Age”
“_____ Stone Age”
Description of Tools
How Humans Obtained Food
(Men did what? Women did what?)
Where/How Humans Lived
7. Domestication (or to domesticate) means…
8. What is Lascaux?
9. The name of the system used by farmers to water their crops is ______________________, and what effect did it have on settlements?
10. How does a surplus lead to specialization? (What do both of these terms mean?)
11. Over thousands of years, some of the early farming villages developed into civilizations. What is a civilization, and what are its 8 characteristics?
12. Mesopotamia, Greek for “___________________________________,” lies between which two rivers?
13. How does the geography of Mesopotamia affect settlement?
14. Sumer was located in southern Mesopotamia and was divided into different city-states. What’s a city-state?
15. Where did ancient Sumerians worship their gods? Describe the building.
16. What is the name of the skilled laborers who made metal products, cloth, or