You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
Section 1 – Understand the purpose of information technology in a business environment
1. In relation to your current business environment (or one that you are familiar with), identify at least two different types of information technology that may be used when completing work tasks.
• MS Excel (a spreadsheet is a document which is divided into rows and columns to record such things as items in inventory, income and expenses, debits and credits. Spreadsheets are designed to ease the management of numbers and calculations,they calculate totals, averages, percentages, budgets, and complex financial and scientific formulas.
• A database is a collection of data which has been organised so that a computer program can quickly select desired items. This could be something as straightforward as a list of names in alphabetical order or an ascending list of numeric stock codes. Ideal for use with telephone contacts or staff details.
• MS Word processing (Standard word documents: Use for the creation of most documents such as letters, memos, minutes, etc.)
2. What are the benefits to businesses (and others) of using information technology for doing work tasks?
The benefits to businesses and others of using information technology for doing all work tasks are that’s it is a fast accurate, efficient flow of information which is the life blood of