PROGRAM ON NEGOTIATION
AT HARVARD LAW SCHOOL
AN INTER-UNIVERSITY CONSORTIUM TO IMPROVE THE THEORY AND PRACTICE OF CONFLICT RESOLUTION
THE BULLARD HOUSES
The Bullard Houses are situated on Bay Drive in Gotham City. Gotham has a population of 800,000 within the city limits and 4 million including residents in the greater metropolitan area. The Bullard Houses, built in 1884, are located at the edge of Gotham's historical district. "Houses" is a misnomer: they are actually a single structure of fifty-one connected brownstones on an 11.5 acre plot that abuts the downtown financial district (see attached map). For nearly fifty years, the Bullard Houses dominated the Gotham vista as their residents dominated the city's financial and political structures. Built by what one historian called "an assemblage of former horse thieves, peddlers, farmers, and fur trappers," with fortunes swollen by Civil War profits, the Houses quickly became a monument to privilege. Their splendor from without was rivaled only by the elegance of the salons and ballrooms within. The Houses seemed to be above daily life — even during the Great Depression of the 1930s, they remained a beacon of success. Eventually, however, shifting economic and sociological trends brought an end to the Houses' proud reign of privilege.
After World War II the swollen demand for housing in the historical district abated. The age of its buildings, the narrowness of its streets, and its deteriorating sewer system hastened a long, steep decline into crime-ridden decay. The war's end also brought superhighways and rapid transit that made Gotham accessible from still undeveloped, outlying areas. Finally, airconditioning became widely available, making the once crucial bay breezes superfluous and sealing the Bullard Houses' fate. Its occupants relocated en masse to the lush hills north of Gotham.
Do Not Reproduce
For the past seven years the Bullard property has been...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document