History of Holy Name University
Holy Name University was founded in 1946 by Fr. Alphonse Lesage, SVD, based on the inspiration of Bishop Julio D. Rosales. It started as Holy Name College on July 14, 1947. At that time, it was a diocesan school owned by the Diocese of Tagbilaran. In 1963, the SVDs gained full ownership of the college. It was renamed Divine Word College of Tagbilaran as a full-pledged SVD school. From 1947 to 1970, it was run by SVD expatriate missionaries. In 1970, Fr. Leo D. Ortiz, SVD, became the first Filipino president. Since then, Filipino SVDs have overseen its growth. On September 21, 2001, it was given full autonomy by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). On November 19, 2001, it was granted full university status and the name changed to Holy Name University. Holy Name University or HNU (formerly Holy Name College; also the Divine Word College of Tagbilaran) is a Catholic institution of higher learning located in Tagbilaran City, Bohol, Philippines. It is a private, non-profit,co-educational university run by the Society of the Divine Word or SVD. It offers programs in elementary, secondary, undergraduate and graduate levels. Its academic offerings include courses in graduate school, arts and sciences, education, nursing, commerce and accountancy, computer science, engineering, and law. Aside from instruction, HNU engages in research and community extension. It is accredited by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). It is on several campuses in Tagbilaran City: the Main or Lesage Campus along Lesage-Gallares streets houses the Graduate School, College of Law, the administration and other offices including the Registrar, Finance, Student Affairs, Alumni, Extension, Research Center, Culture and Arts; the Scanlon campus along Miguel Parras Street; and the Janssen Heights Campus in Dampas District where the elementary, secondary (Janssen Building), College of Nursing (St. Freinademetz...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document