In my experiment, the independent variable was the amount of water being used and the dependent variable was how high my bottle rocket went. Since the purpose of my experiment was to find out amount of water made an air-pumped bottle rocket go higher, I had to first learn how to build an air-pumped bottle rocket. After searching on the internet for about 5 minutes I learned how to build one. It took me few days to retrieve the materials that I needed and to find a pump for my rocket. Following the instructions I found online, I spent about 30 minutes building a bottle rocket with a cone and fins using a plastic Propel bottle as the body of the rocket. The Propel bottle can hold 499.793 milliliters of water. One of the materials that I needed was a cork that …show more content…
Someone would pump the bottle rocket until, it went into the air.
The person with the quadrant would look through the straw and see where the bottle rocket was at its highest point.
Another person would see where the washers are on the protractor and mark down on a piece of paper would angle it was at.
These steps were repeated until three sub trials were conducted.
A new trial would be conducted, adding 25 milliliters and would follow steps 1-8. Until three trials were conducted with 9 sub trials in total.
Once all the trials were completed, I subracted the observed angles from 90 degrees.
After that was done I found the tangents of all the new angles and multiplied them by the distance, 5.969 meters.
The solutions to this equation answered how high the bottle rocket went with each amount of water.
I found the average of each trial at the end.
After I gathered my data, I made a data table showing how high each amount of water made by bottle rocket go. The data table also showed the distance from the quadrant, the amount of water used, and the average of each