Biology paper 6 year 2013

Topics: University of Cambridge, UCI race classifications, Tour de Georgia Pages: 12 (1118 words) Published: April 20, 2014
www.maxpapers.com

UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE INTERNATIONAL EXAMINATIONS
International General Certificate of Secondary Education

*0191634512*

0610/61

BIOLOGY
Paper 6 Alternative to Practical

May/June 2013
1 hour

Candidates answer on the Question Paper.
No Additional Materials are required.
READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST
Write your Centre number, candidate number and name on all the work you hand in. Write in dark blue or black pen.
You may use a pencil for any diagrams or graphs.
Do not use staples, paper clips, highlighters, glue or correction fluid. DO NOT WRITE IN ANY BARCODES.
Answer all questions.
Electronic calculators may be used.
You may lose marks if you do not show your working or if you do not use appropriate units. At the end of the examination, fasten all your work securely together. The number of marks is given in brackets [ ] at the end of each question or part question.

This document consists of 11 printed pages and 1 blank page. IB13 06_0610_61/5RP
© UCLES 2013

[Turn over

www.maxpapers.com
2
1

Fig. 1.1 shows a bird’s egg. Part of the shell has been removed.

For
Examiner's
Use

shell
yolk

albumen

Fig. 1.1
Approximately 90 % of albumen is water. The remaining 10 % is made up of other substances such as reducing sugar.
(a) Describe how you could safely test a sample of albumen for reducing sugar.

[4]

(b) A student tested some albumen for the presence of protein using Biuret reagent. The solution changed colour. It was a positive result.
Describe this colour change.

[1]

© UCLES 2013

0610/61/M/J/13

www.maxpapers.com
3
(c) Fig. 1.2 shows an experiment to investigate the effect of acid on albumen.

3 drops
of water

For
Examiner's
Use

3 drops of
dilute acid

test-tube 1

test-tube 2
Fig. 1.2

The test-tubes were observed after five minutes.
The results are shown in Table 1.1.
Table 1.1
test-tube

observation

1

stayed as a clear liquid

2

changed from a clear liquid to a white solid

(i) State a conclusion that can be made from these results.

[1]
(ii) State why water was added to test-tube 1.

[1]

© UCLES 2013

0610/61/M/J/13

[Turn over

www.maxpapers.com
4
(d) Fat is present in the yolk.
A student carried out the emulsion test on a sample of yolk and it gave a positive result. State what the student would observe.

[1]

(e) Two students wanted to investigate the effect of concentration of acid on albumen. For this investigation, suggest a suitable:
variable to change;
variable to measure or observe;
variable to control.

[3]
[Total: 11]

© UCLES 2013

0610/61/M/J/13

For
Examiner's
Use

www.maxpapers.com
5
2

Fig. 2.1 shows the back leg of two animals.

For
Examiner's
Use

The animals belong to two different vertebrate groups.

Q

P

animal A

animal B

Fig. 2.1
(a) (i) Describe one similarity, visible in Fig. 2.1, between the leg of animal A and the leg of animal B.

[1]
(ii) Complete Table 2.1 to state two differences, visible in Fig. 2.1 between the leg of animal A and the leg of animal B.
Table 2.1
feature

animal A

animal B

[3]
© UCLES 2013

0610/61/M/J/13

[Turn over

www.maxpapers.com
6
(b) Make a large, labelled drawing of the leg of animal A.

For
Examiner's
Use

[5]
(c) You are going to calculate the magnification of your drawing of the photograph of the leg of animal A.
Length of line PQ in Fig. 2.1 is 36 mm.
Draw line PQ on your drawing in the same position as in Fig. 2.1. Length of line PQ in drawing

mm

Calculate the magnification of your drawing.
Show your working.

magnification ×

© UCLES 2013

0610/61/M/J/13

[3]

www.maxpapers.com
7
(d) A population of animals was studied over nine years. The changes in the population of males are shown in Fig. 2.2

For
Examiner's
Use

700
600
500
estimated
number of
males

400
300
200
100
0
1992

1994

1996

1998...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Essay on Biology Lab 6
  • Biology Current Events Paper
  • Biology 2013 Spring Semester Project Essay
  • Cellular Respiration Biology Paper
  • biology Essay
  • Biology Essay
  • biology Essay
  • Biology Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free