Lab 12 Model Ecosystems Lab Activity
Complete your answers in the spaces provided. USE YOUR OWN WORDS – Yes even for definitions! Remember to add your last name and first initial to the file name prior to saving and submitting your completed assignment through Canvas.
The lab website has post lab questions – these are not necessary – you only have to complete the questions in this lab assignment document.
Use your textbook, notes and this website to answer the pre lab questions. http://www.vtaide.com/png/foodchains.htm
Pre Lab Questions:
1. What is the ultimate source of energy for all organisms on this planet? The ultimate source of energy is the sun.
2. List the biomes of the Earth.
A biome is a large naturally occurring community of flora and fauna occupying a major habitat (a forest). The biomes of the Earth include the desert, the aquatic, the forest, the grassland, and the tundra.
3. What biome do we live in here in Philadelphia?
temperate deciduous forest biome
4. What attributes define a biome?
climate and dominant vegetation, include grassland, tundra, desert, tropical rainforest, and deciduous and coniferous forests.
Click on the link below to access the online lab.
http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs_2K8/pages/ModelEcosystems.html Download and print the instructions for reference as you work through the lab. As you work through the lab fill in the table below. Use this information to answer the questions that follow contained in this document.
5. Complete all five ecosystems and record your data in Table 1. The different ecosystems are listed across the top. Fill in the data for each trophic level for each ecosystem. For the numbers click on the [Pyramid of Numbers] button. Next click on the [Pyramid of Energy] button. Calculate the Energy Conversion Efficiency Ratio (ECE) by dividing the higher trophic level energy by...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document