Works of famous architects and sculptors What is Baroque Architecture?
• A Style originating in late 16th Century Italy
• Consists of complex Architectural plan shapes, often based on the oval.
• Dynamic opposition and inter penetration of spaces were favored to highlighten the feeling of motion and sensuality.
• Other characteristic qualities include:– Grandeur
– Drama and Contrast
– Twisting elements
– Gilded statuary
He was the son of a stonemason and began his career as a stonemason himself. He soon went toMilanto study and practice his craft. He moved toRomein 1619 and started working for
• Borromini's real name was Francesco Castelli.Once he had become established in Rome, he changed his name from Castelli to Borromini,
• He worked withGian Lorenzo Berninion the design of the famousbaldachininSt. Peter Basilica , the two later became bitter rivals. •
• Francesco Borrominiwas the master of curved-wall architecture. • He was influenced by the architecture of
Michelangelo and the ruins of Antiquity. His architecture employs manipulations of Classical architectural forms, geometrical rationales with symbolic meanings behind his buildings.
• Classical architectural forms, geometrical rationales in his plans and symbolic meanings in his buildings.
Famous works of Borromini
• San Cario alle Quatttro Fontane
• Sant’lvo alla Saplenza, 1660
Sant'Agne se in
Sapienza and Palazzo dei Filippini
Sant'And rea delle
San Carlo alle
San Cario alle Quatttro Fontane
• Borromini's first independent commission • •This tiny church, along with its courtyard, is one of the most important monuments of the baroque style in Rome.