MANAGING CATERING EQUIPMENT:
* Catering equipment falls into two basic categories:
1. FRONT OF THE HOUSE SERVICE EQUIPMENTS
* Is designed highly portable for ease of transport and storage, some equipment can be designed for flexible use when outside catering is a service of the catering business.
2. BACK OF THE HOUSE SERVICE EQUIPMENTS
* Consists of a core of food production equipment that generally requires establishing a permanent food production area.
FRONT OF THE HOUSE EQUIPMENTS:
EQUIPMENT CATEGORIES ARE:
1. TABLE WARE
* This is consist of china wares, glass wares, stem wares and flat wares
2. SERVING PIECES
* These will include silver wares, glass wares, china wares, cutleries
3. BUFFET SERVICE
* This will require chafing dish, food warmers and serving pieces
4. TABLE LIGHTING
* This might include candelabras, glass globes, candle sticks, votive candle holders, candle stick shades and oil lamps and shades.
5. TABLE AND MODULAR TABLE SECTIONS
* Rectangular tables, round tables, oblongs, half-moon tables, quarter shape moon tables, serpentine, trapezoid, etc.
* Chairs can range in design and function from collapsible painted wooden designs to metal frame upholstered chairs for formal banquets. * The quality of chair and overall design are selected based on usage and storage requirements. * Outside catering needs require lightweight chairs that are easily stacked or collapsible designs.
* It include tablecloths, napkins, placemats, and lace overlays * Table linens can provide a wide variety of tabletop designs for private functions
8. TABLE SKIRTING
* Table skirting is used primarily for buffet tables and head tables for both formal and informal functions * In conference centers and hotels, food service break setups use skirting for buffet setups * Meal functions use skirting for a wide variety of buffet functions in addition to head tables * As with linens, a wide range of fabrics, colors and patterns are available to accent special function themes and designs.
9. CHAIR COVERS
* The purpose of seat cover is to incorporate the chair into the overall design * Chair covers are available in a variety of fabrics and styles
10. DANCE FLOOR
* Portable dance floor help to expand the possibilities for function space use * Outdoor spaces, rooms that are completely covered in carpeting, tent floors, and pool decks are examples of where portable dance floors are often used.
11. PORTABLE BARS
* Portable bars are available in a variety of designs and can include sinks, pour wells, storage areas and other features * For outside catering, it is helpful to work with units that are as lightweight as possible.
12. SPECIALTY ITEMS
* The following list of specialty items might be used for both in-house and outside catering functions: * Fountain, electric
* BBQ grill, gas or charcoal
* Coffee maker
* Baskets, large and small
* Table stands
* Banquet trays
* Carving boards
* Ice carving pans with lighting
* Table spotlights
* Coat rack/hangers and coat checks
* Ice buckets, standing and table
* Theme parties require a wide variety of props and often large stage set pieces for decorations * The number of props as well as set and lighting requirements required for a function will depend upon the customer’s budget
BACK OF THE HOUSE EQUIPMENTS:
* The requirements of food service operations are based on how and where food products are: * Received
* Cleaned up
* Disposed of
* Added to this major considerations are the requirements for food sanitation and safety
1. THE BASIC KITCHEN
* The most basic kitchen setup for food production will require: *...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document