- Baggit is a leading Indian premium brand of ‘Bags & accessories’ for women that is designed and manufactured in India.
- Baggit Evolution.
• was born in 1990 and is based in Mumbai
• First sold from Inxs, Kemps Corner, Mumbai
• Spread like wild fire across trade channels in Mumbai and Delhi • Distributed from Large Format Retail from 2000
• First exclusive outlet in Atria mall, Worli, Mumbai
• Now retailed across country in all sales channels
- Baggit Offering.
• Mobile Pouches
- Baggit Core Values.
• To provide the Indian consumer with the latest international designs in bags and accessories • Design Trendy and smart fashion
• Choice of colours
• Thoughtfully designed
• To provide a variety of styles to cater to the tastes of a varied audience • To ensure that the consumer gets the best quality products • Quality is controlled inhouse by a group of talented designers • Every product passes critical design acceptance test
• 100% quality inspection of imported CC fabrics, imported trims
• Ranked in top 3 brands in the category in Sales, turnover and MPF in Lifestyle consistently over 4 years • Ranked in top 3 brands in the category in Sales, turnover and MPF in Shoppers’ Stop consistently over 4 years • Grown to 11 exclusive outlets in a span of 2 years
• Felicitated with the ‘Proggy Award’ ‘manufacturing non-leather products’ for the Company of the Year by PETA - 2007
- Face behind Baggit. Ms. Nina Lekhi.
• Voted as one of the 50 most powerful business women of India by business today (October 2007) • First generation entrepreneur
• Started from scratch, built a rock solid business
• Strong social and spiritual values - Advocate of SSY [Siddha Samadhi Yoga], Meditation practice followed in Manufacturing, Aims to create Rural Employment
- Going Forward. Brand Vision
• To be the most preferred brand of women’s bags in India • To open overseas EBO’s
• To keep pioneering Fashion at the very core
An interview with the face behind Baggit
Baggit manufactures and retails bags that cater to a genre of women who deem bags an integral part of their singular style statement and whose designs are both utilitarian and hedonistic. Franchise India Media (FIM) : What was your prior occupation? Nina Lekhi (NL) : Just before I started Baggit, I had been a student. FIM : Tell us about Baggit and its product offerings.
NL : Baggit mainly manufactures and retails bags that cater to a genre of women who deem bags an integral part of their singular style statement. The designs are both utilitarian and hedonistic. Our bags are a blend of comfort and style. Other products that we deal in are Handbags Wallets, Mobile Pouches, Belts, Caps, Scarves and Footwear. FIM : What is you start-up story behind Baggit?
NL : I was told by my teachers to stay away from classes in college until I cleared my first term exams. I took it as a challenge and decided to prove myself. I decided to become a designer. Then I did part-time courses in textile designing, weaving and colour dyeing. I also participated in designing competitions and soon won a couple of art awards and providing regular consignments for couturier Mike Kripalani. It was then I started Baggit. FIM : How did you finance your start-up operations and how long did it take for the company to become self-sustainable? NL : I borrowed my initial funding of Rs 7000 from my mother. FIM : How was the experience of building a team?
NL : Since I did not have enough money I started by hiring freshers for designing and neighborhood tailors for the stitching of bags. I managed everything and used my house for warehousing. FIM : What are the challenges that you have faced in your entrepreneurial journey so far and how have you dealt with them? NL : Money is always a constraint for new and small companies....
Please join StudyMode to read the full document