Diff: 2 Type: MC Page Ref: 120, 132 Skill: Factual
155) The part of the autonomic nervous system that is responsible for reacting to stressful events and bodily arousal is called the ______________ nervous system.
Diff: 2 Type: MC Page Ref: 120, 132 Skill: Factual ryerson.testbank @gmail.com
156) As Molly is walking across campus, a car swerves toward her. Her heart races and sweat breaks out as she jumps out of harm’s way. This mobilization of energy is due to the action of Molly’s ______________.
A) somatic nervous system
B) skeletal …show more content…
His heartbeat increases significantly and his breathing becomes shallow. He wonders if a burglar has entered the house and decides to investigate. When he gets downstairs he discovers his cat has knocked over a plant stand. His body begins to relax and return to normal. Which part of his nervous system is responsible for returning Malcolm to a normal state?
A) parasympathetic nervous system B) sympathetic nervous system
C) somatic nervous system
D) spinal cord
Diff: 2 Type: MC Page Ref: 120, 132 Skill: Applied
159) According to ________ theory, memories are initially stored at multiple sites. Over time, storage strengthens at some sites, but weakens at others.
A) memory consolidation B) neural realignment
C) multiple trace
D) memory transfer
Diff: 2 Type: MC Page Ref: 132 Skill: Conceptual ryerson.testbank @gmail.com
160) The flight-or-fight response is mobilized by the A) central nervous system.
B) parasympathetic nervous system. C) sympathetic nervous system.
D) somatic nervous system.
Answer: …show more content…
A) adrenaline B) estrogen
C) androgens D) testosterone
Diff: 3 Type: MC Page Ref: 134-135 Skill: Factual ryerson.testbank @gmail.com
169) The importance of Penfield's research and others like it led to the hypothesis that A) nerves might use electrical activity to send information.
B) nerves have high temporal resolution.
C) nerves respond to chemical stimulation.
D) nerves have high spatial resolution. Answer: A
Diff: 3 Type: MC Page Ref: 136 Skill: Conceptual
170) Rodney wanted to “have his head examined” to determine certain aspects of his personality. To do this he had to go to a
A) phrenologist. B) psychiatrist. C) psychologist. D) scientologist.
Diff: 2 Type: MC Page Ref: 136-137 Skill: Conceptual
171) Evidence against the 10 percent myth (we only use 10% of our brains) comes from A) psychics who are able to perform extraordinary feats of mental powers.
B) neuroimaging studies, which fail to find any consistently silent areas.
C) the effectiveness of self-help books to increase mental