ATTICA PRISON RIOT
CULTURAL DIVERSITY IN CRIMINAL
UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX
INTRODUCTION OF THE ATTICA PRISON
• In the later part of 1971, a riot was caused at the Attica Correctional facility in Attica, New York. This riot
occurred at the very time that the Prisoners’ Right
Movement was passed. This riot was to demand the right
of prisoners on political issues and also a good living
conditions. It was also deemed as one of the most famous
and significant riots that ever took place in the United
• The prisoner however took control of the prison for 5 days and held about 10 Guards hostage
• All negotiations ensued however failed
• As a result of the riot, about 10 guards and 29 prisons
• Research indicate that State Police and National Guard
troops regained control of the prison in 2014.
CAUSE OF PRISON RIOTS
• Insensitive prison administration and negligence of inmates demands
• Violent lifestyle of prisoner carried over to prison
• Dehumanizing prison condition such as overcrowding, lack of individual expression and etc.
• Power vacuums created such as changes in administration of prison creates power vacuum, also when there is a transfer of inspirational and influential prisoners to another prison or location, or in the case where the court orders injunctions that change daily routine.
SIGNIFICANCE OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY AS IT RELATES
• Two or more dominate culture should be authorize
• Non bias action and attitude towards inmate by Prison guard of all cultures must be encourage and demonstrated.
• Integration of an assigned diversified cultural counselor, for reporting and discussing racial violation /discrimination among the prison guards.
• Cultural awareness program need to carried out often to present a monthly reinsurance of the importance of all cultures,
nationalities and race as well as ethnicity's.
RACIAL ISSUES AT ATTICA PRSION
More than half of the prisoners are African Americans
All Corrections Officers are white
Majority of Correction Officers were openly racist
ETHNIC DISPARITY AND DISCRIMINATION WITHIN
• The US Sentencing Commission states that the African
American receive 10% longer sentence than whites for
the same crime
• Studies and research have prove and show that African
Americans are incarcerated five time the rate of white
individuals and Hispanics are incarcerated two times
the amount of white individuals.
PRISONERS’ DEMANDS FOR GOOD
• The Prisoners demanded freedom from physical, mental and legal reprisals
• Speedy and safe transportation of out of confinement
• They seek federal Government to intervene so the federal Jurisdiction can be explained
• Inmates and inmate supervision allows in the reconstitution of Attica Prison.
• They also seek immediate negotiations to be brought out by several leaders and organizations, such as the Black Panthers and Minister Farrakhan.
• The Attica Prison Riot revealed that prisoners
could be more humane than the law
enforcement that was chosen to supervise
• This was one of the worst but significant and
famous riot in history
• Treatment of the prisoners and racism
• BlackPast.Org (1971). Attica Prison Riot. Retrieved from http://www.blackpast.org/aah/attica-prison-riot-1971
• Slade K. E. (2012). Attica State Correctional Facility: The cause and fallout of the Riot of 1971. Retrived from
• Camp S. D., Saylor W. G., and Wright K. N., (2000). Racial Diversity or Correctional Worker and Inmates:
Organizational Commitment. Teamwork and Efficacy in
Prison. Retrieved from...
References: • BlackPast.Org (1971). Attica Prison Riot. Retrieved from
• Slade K. E. (2012). Attica State Correctional Facility: The
cause and fallout of the Riot of 1971
• Camp S. D., Saylor W. G., and Wright K. N., (2000). Racial
Diversity or Correctional Worker and Inmates:
Please join StudyMode to read the full document