1. CONTRASTING How were matrilineal societies different from patrilineal societies? Matrilineal societies where the societies in which descent is traced through the mother, while patrilineal societies where the ones in which descent is traced through the father.
2. NAMING From where does much of our knowledge of early African societies come? What traveler is known for his recorded descriptions of African societies? Much of our knowledge about early African societies come from descriptions recorded by foreign visitors. Ibn Battuta is known for his recorded descriptions of African societies.
3. IDENTIFYING What allowed Ghana to become a wealthy state? Who benefited the most? Ghana had an abundance of gold, this made it the center of an enormous trade empire. Trade helped Ghana to become a wealthy state. Berbers benefited Ghana the most because their camels carried much of the trade across the dessert.
4. DESCRIBING What led to the fall of the Songhai Empire? After the reign of Askia Dawud, Songhai slowly started to decline. Near the end of the 1500s, that decline quickened when the forces of the sultan of Morocco occupied much of Songhai.
5. GEOGRAPHY SKILLS What geographic feature helped the Songhai kingdom thrive? Explain why. The Songhai established themselves south of the the Niger River bend. This floods, providing a rich soil for raising crops and cattle, making agriculture and food resources to raise.
6. IDENTIFYING CAUSE AND EFFECT Why did the price of gold drop in Egypt during Mansa Mūsā’s pilgrimage to Makkah? Mansa Musa had an abundance of personal gold, which made the price of Gold drop.
7. EXPLAINING CONTINUITY AND CHANGE What happened to the religious beliefs of people after the spread of Islam? Islam conflicted African beliefs but it also gave ideas that were combined native beliefs that created a new Africanized Islam religion.
9. LOCATION What were the religious differences among East, West, and South Africa?